Chapter 12

I stared at Wynny, watching as she struggled to re-arrange her features.  Turning towards me, she took a deep breath and reached out for me.  Pulling me close, she wrapped her arms around me.

“I am sorry for the things I said, I just want what’s best for you,” she said.  Her words rang hollow in my ear, but after the feel of the gypsy’s hands the whole world felt muted.  Nodding into her shoulder, I hugged her back.  We broke apart, a strained smile on her face.  Her eyes darted continually over my shoulder towards the caravans.  Forcing a smile back, I scanned the area for Delaena.  I found her sitting in front of an old woman.  The old woman was bent and wrinkled with age, her lips fell slightly inwards suggesting a lack of teeth.  Several multi-coloured shawls were wrapped around her bent shoulders, and her thin white hair was hidden under a kerchief.  She was holding Delaena’s hand in hers and both of them were staring intently into Delaena’s palm.

Glancing again at Wynny, who was still pre-occupied with pretending she wasn’t looking at the caravans, I approached where Delaena and the old woman were sitting.    The old woman was tracing lines in Delaena’s palm, punctuating certain points with a jab of her finger.  Delaena looked up at me, a serious look on her face.

“I am learning my fate.  It appears I will have several lovers, however there seems to be some confusion about my life line.  She said something about it being undecided.  Very odd.” 

“You cannot possibly believe what she’s telling you,” Wynny said approaching to stand beside me.

“Of course I do.  Gypsies are known for their other worldly abilities,” Delaena replied.

Looking up from Delaena’s palm, the old crone’s face broke into a wrinkled smile.  Dropping Delaena’s hand, she reached for me.  Offering my hand to her, I stepped forward, but she pushed it away and gestured for me to crouch down in front of her.  I looked uncertainly at Delaena who just shrugged, and offered me her spot in front of the old woman.  Smiling I offered my hand again, but she shook her head, gesturing for me to move closer.  Shuffling forward until we were almost touching, she said.

“You two, go,” pointing at Delaena and Wynny, “I talk alone.”

Rolling her eyes Delaena moved a few paces away, crossing her arms.  The old crone gave her a withering look and Delaena took a few more steps back.  Wynny followed more preoccupied with the caravans than listening.

Grabbing my hand in hers, she turned it so that my palm was facing up.  Her hands were dry, rough and warm.  Her brow wrinkled in concentration as she studied my palm.

“Your life like knots, all tied.  You have make choices.  No decisions so fate no made.  Decisions make other lifes.  Big power, strong power for good.  Or for bad.  For good now.  Good strong, but bad too.  Make choice for good for bad.  Life strong,” she said tracing a long thick line down my palm.  “Cuts, make life no strong,” she continued pointing out the diagonal slashes through the thick line.

“I feel you power.  Feel strong, feel good, full of love fire yes,” she said reaching out and placing her hand over my heart, her wizened head nodding as she smiled.  Glancing back at my palm she continued talking.

“Trouble with friend, want take you life.  Rot in friend.  Rot spread, best to rid of rot before spread.”  Twisting my hand from side to side, a confused look came over her face.

“Change, much change, many decision.”  Dropping my hand she put her hands on either side of my face, she closed her eyes and took a deep breath as if smelling me.  Seconds passed and she continued to hold my face in her hands, as if waiting for something.  Nodding in satisfaction, she dropped her hands.