Chapter 5

I was met at the dock by a woman dressed all in white. She wore a shapeless white, high collared dress of cotton that fell all the way to her feet, white slippers and a white head dress that hid her hair. As I stood before her she leaned down taking my face in her hands. 

“Such beautiful eyes you have,” she said and she turned my face from side to side.  “Did you know that they change colour depending on how you look at them?” she asked smiling at me.

Without waiting for an answer she gestured for a man to grab my few belongings and began moving through the crowd.  “My name is Melena.” She said as she walked briskly, forcing me to trot behind her to keep up.  “No need to introduce yourself Morgana.” 

The dock was packed full of merchants selling fish, crustaceans and anything else that could be pulled from or used in the water.  My head swivelled from side to side, watching as a fish’s head was hacked off and thrown to waiting dogs, and a woman haggled over prices with a fat fisherman.  Climbing into a waiting carriage, Melena gestured me in beside her.

“I don’t want you to think that your life will be easier now,” Melena began.  “Because it won’t be.  Our Mother of Bleeding Hearts is no easy life, and you will be afforded no extra comforts because you are the step-daughter of the King.  Although it would seem you were not afforded much to begin with.  You will learn to be a pious, well bred lady deserving of your station.  Once you have reached the age of 18, you will be sent back to Camelot to live out your life as the King sees fit.  Until that time you will follow the rules set out by the convent of Our Mother of Bleeding Hearts.  I have received a letter from the King with strict instructions as to your development and upbringing.  He has informed us of your wicked behaviour, and let me tell you now that will not be tolerated here.”

I turned my head, staring out at the town as we moved through it.  It seemed that even hundred of miles away, I could not escape the King.

“I have also received a letter from your mother,” Melena continued more softly.  “I know your mother very well.  We grew up together.  We were great friends at one time.  She has told me you are quite magical.  I could tell from the moment I met you.” Melena said as she stared ahead at the road.

My head snapped around to look at Melena.  She smiled slightly and turned to face me.  “There is much for you to learn Morgana.  You must struggle against your bonds or one day they will defeat you, and you will be lost to yourself forever.”

Gently she lifted the necklace my mother had placed around my neck.  She rubbed its smooth surface between her finger and thumb, deep in thought.  Sighing she let it drop from her fingers back against my chest.

“You must follow the rules set out before you Morgana.  I cannot help you if you are wilful or go against our Matron’s rules.  I see much hate in you, and you must learn to let that go.  Hate will lead you on a dark path, one that will have an end as deep and dark as the farthest corners of the earth.  I promised your mother I would take you on as my pupil, but I will not do so until you can prove you are worthy of learning the arts of magic.  I cannot in good conscience take on a student whose hate pours from her eyes.  You must forgive and move on Morgana.  I have known you ten minutes and I can smell the hate coming through your skin.  Whatever has happened let it go.  Don’t let it take over such a promising life.”

Melena sat looking at me, for several moments before turning away with a sigh.  Afraid that maybe she had already given me up, I blurted “There is no magic in me anymore.  It was stolen away.  I am empty of magic.”  Hot tears welled up in my eyes, spilling over and onto my cheeks.  I turned my head away, staring at nothing.  Melena was quiet for several minutes.  I could feel her eyes looking me over.

“Magic cannot be stolen,” Melena answered.  “It is something deep inside you that no man can take away from you.”

“It was not taken by a man!” I exclaimed.  “It was taken by a horrid wizard named Merlin and that murderer you call the King.” My voice was rising, anger building in my chest as I remembered the burning liquid being forced down my throat.

Melena’s cool hand took mine. “Not even a foolish wizard such as Merlin can steal your magic Morgana.  Only a fool would ever believe that magic can be taken away from their very being.”

“I am no fool,” I snapped, yanking my hand from hers.

“And I am glad to hear it,” laughed Melena.

The rest of the ride to the convent of Our Mother of Bleeding Hearts was spent in silence as I brooded over what Melena had said.  For her part Melena seemed content to let me wallow in silence and made no further efforts to speak with me.

The convent was situated outside of town surrounded by a high stone wall.  The convent itself was a three story stone building.  A large wooden door marked the front entranceway and was guarded by the hooded figure of a marble statue holding a lantern in her slender hands.

The convent was surrounded by an orchard on the one south side and the north boasted what looked to be a beautiful flower garden.  Blood coloured roses climbed the convent walls overtop of dark green ivy.  I could see Lilly’s blooming in colours of vibrant yellow, orange, blue and purple.  Melena noting my gaze smiled.  “One of the many things you will learn here Morgana.  A flower can be very useful.”

Melena knocked on the front doors as I peered cautiously at the hooded marble statue.  Carefully I reached out to touch her extended hand.  Quick as a snake Melena snatched my hand away, turning sharply towards me. 

“We do not touch the marble maiden Morgana.  She is best left alone.”

Confused I turned away from the statue and followed Melena as she entered through the slow opening door.

The convent was brightly lit inside with natural light that streamed through the many windows.  I followed closely behind Melena trying to peek in the rooms we passed with little success.

“You will be presented to the Matron before dinner, and the rest of our wards at evening song.  I will leave you in your room to change into your new clothes that are laid out.  We do not allow decoration of any kind.” Melena continued on, around several corners, stopping finally in front of a door.  This will be your room for the next ten years Morgana.  This room was also your mothers.  I will be back to give you a tour of the convent in an hour.”

Pushing the door open, I walked into the room.  Mother had never told me that she had been sent here.  The miles between us suddenly didn’t seem so far.

Laid out on the bed for me was a white cotton robe, white slippers and a white head dress.  Stripping off my clothes, I put on the white robes, slipping my necklace underneath the cotton shift.  I tied up my hair running my hands over the white beads.  A gift from the sea a voice whispered in my head.  I would not take these off either. 

With my hair tied back under my head dress, I had nothing left to do but wait.