Chapter 10

The inn was a large wooden structure, located just inside the main gates, down one of the many small alleys that made up the streets of the town.  The knights had escorted us to the outskirts of Beggar’s Market, and it was only a short trip until we stopped at our lodging for the next few days.  We crowded into the entranceway of the inn, while the Matron arranged our rooms.  From where I stood, I could hear music, voices and laughter coming from around the corner.  Creeping away from the group, I peeked around to see that the noise was coming from a large dining room.  Several long wooden tables were set up with benches.  Men and women were sitting side by side eating and drinking.   The smell of roasted chicken and fresh bread made my mouth start to water.  A couple of young men in the corner were playing instruments, singing a fast paced, upbeat diddy.  One man pulled a woman from her seat on the bench and danced her around the room, while others laughed and clapped their hands.  A fire blazed in the large hearth to ward off the night chill, and huge old blackened metal chandeliers were lit with dozens of candles which creaked as they swung from side to side.

My presence in the doorway caught the attention of the musicians, as they signaled for the room to quiet down.

“A pretty lass in the doorway I see, all dressed in white and waiting for me.”

All the heads in the room turned towards me. 

“Would the pretty lady care for a dance?” a tall man playing a harp asked me.  He had a head of curly dark brown hair and eyes that matched.  His cheeks were flushed red from the heat of the room.  When he spoke he had a slight accent.  All his vowels were softened, he dropped the hard d’s and t’s from his words.

For years I had spoken to no one but my sisters in the convent.  I couldn’t think of a word to say in response and even if I had, my tongue suddenly seemed too large for my mouth.  My feet were glued to the floor, and it seemed I could do nothing but look down at my dress, which I noticed was dirty with soup stains, and the hem brown from walking in the dirt all day.  Looking down at myself I was terribly embarrassed.  I felt the heat rush to my cheeks.

A finger slipped under my down turned chin and pulled my face up.  I was looking right into the eyes of the man who had asked me for a dance.

“There now,” he said dropping his hand.  “A pretty girl like you shouldn’t be looking at the floor,” he said pulling his thin lips into a smile showing slightly crooked teeth, with a slight gap between the front two.  When he smiled, his eyes creased at the sides, making him quite pleasant to look at. 

Turning away he said “Play something sweet lads, for all the sweet ladies.”  A murmur of agreement went up from the dining room.  The remaining musicians put their heads together for a moment and then the first few notes of song were played out. It was a sweet tune, slow and full of longing.  Stepping away and extending his hand to me, the harp player smiled invitingly.  Taking a deep breath, I felt I had no choice but accept his invitation.  It would be terribly rude to decline I decided.  Placing my hand in his, he pulled me tight against me, wrapping my other arm around his neck, and holding me fast at the waist, he slowly twirled me around the room.  After the initial shock of being pulled so close, I relaxed.  His movement were slow and deliberate, and he danced in time to the music.  Following his lead was easy, and I let myself move without thinking.  As the song went on, other men and women joined in, moving slowly in the spaces between the tables.

I heard a sharp intake of breath, and then my name uttered sharply from behind me. “Morgana!”  The sudden noise broke through the sweetness of the song, causing me to cringe slightly.

My partner turned us around so that I was looking over his shoulder directly at the Matron, while never letting go of my waist.  Glancing over his shoulder, he flashed his smile.