Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Brian took me to a nice outside restaurant down the road from NC Records. We were quickly seated outside and a waitress took our order as soon as we sat down barely paying any attention to myself.

"And for you sir?" The waitress said batting her eyelashes at Brian.

Brian said his order reading off the menu paying her no mind.

She walked away swaying her hips more than necessary.

"Everywhere we go someone tries to flirt with you," I tell Brian.

"Who is jealous now, Mrs. Winters?"

"Oh, I am not jealous. I am just stating the facts. However, you actually were extremely jealous of Jackson."

"Jackson?" Brian said looking puzzled.

"The man who was 'clearly flirting' with me as you put it."

"Elena, he was flirting with you."

"Whatever," I stated while the waitress put our food down.

"Does anyone need anything?" She asked.

We both shook our heads and she walked away.

"I got you something," Brian said pulling a small wrapped package from his pocket and handing it to me. I opened it and seen the newest iPhone.

"Brian, I have a phone that works fine," I say showing him my flip phone.

"Lena, you're going to be my wife. A lot of things will be changing."

"And what does that mean?"

"I'm a high ranking business man. My wife will have the best things that money can buy even if it means changing herself," Brian stated as if it was so easy to understand.

"I'm sorry I am not up to your standards, Mr. Matthews. However, you're the one that proposed the deal to me. Not the other way around. Now if you'll excuse me I need to leave," I stood up from my half way finished meal and walked back to the car.

I'm not sure what hurt worse, the words he said to me or the fact he let me walk away so easily.

------------

Once back in the car I discovered I had no desire to go anywhere. I sat there a couple of minutes until I seen Brian walking back toward the company. He seemed slightly off his game. His facial expression seemed confused. He began looking around. He seen where I was parked and began walking that direction. I started the car and drove out of the lot as someone walked up to speak with Brian.

I decided to drive 'home'. Can I even call it that? Do I even have a place to call home? I shook my head from these thoughts as I pulled into the driveway and parked the car.

I walked to the elevator and hit the button to go to the main floor. I walked over to one of the living rooms and sat down. I pulled out my new phone and turned it on. A message popped up on the screen from "Your Charming Fiancé'. I exited out of the notification and opened my contacts. It was full of work numbers, emergency contact numbers to reach Brian, and, of course, 'Your Charming Fiancé'. I changed his name in my phone to a simple 'Brian Matthews'.

After a few minutes of pondering, I decided to open the text.

From: Brian Matthews
To: Elena Winters

Can you come by the office later? I feel like I am needing to explain myself.

He feels like he needs to explain himself. Oh, then I better hurry on over there. I rolled my eyes and headed back to the car.

-------

I pulled into the parking lot of my old apartment building. There was no way I was going to see Brian. I knocked on Mrs. Smith's door and Kade ran over to me.

"Hey buddy! Are you ready to head home?" I asked Kade.

He shook his head yes. I picked him up, thanked Mrs. Smith, and walked back to the car. After putting him in the car seat, I started the car and we began on our back to our 'home'.

-------

Kade automatically went straight to the game room. I walked to my bedroom and fell onto the bed.

Am I doing the right thing for Kade? Could I had kept things going and said no to Brian's deal? Could we have made it? I closed my eyes for a minute as these thoughts echoed through my head.

If only my dad were still here. My parents and Kade would be back at our original house while I would be finishing my first year of school at Yale. However, things aren't a fairytale. Happy endings don't happen in real life. I still remember my nightmare from a couple of weeks back. I was running. To this day I still do not know what I was running from. These nightmares haven't stopped. They have been occurring since the death of my father. I'm always running. I can never turn around but I know that I am terrified in each of them.

I feel pressure on my bed and open my eyes.

"Sissy, I wanted to scare you," Kade said looking down at me.

"Are you tired?"

He shook his head yes.

"Want to take your nap in here?"

He shook his head more violently this time. He quickly got under the covers. I slid in beside him. He fell asleep as soon as his head hit the pillow. I softly stroke his hair and looked into my little brothers eyes. He is all I have and I am all he has. At that moment I knew I had to do whatever I could to keep Kade happy and safe. Even if it meant becoming the future Mrs. Matthews.

-----------

Authors note

Thank you for reading this chapter! What will happen between Brian and Elena? Find out in the next chapter!

Casting
Elena Winters- Anna Kendrick
Brian Matthews- Dave Franco

-J