Chapter 17

The last chapter other than the epilogue

---------

Chapter 17

I stayed in the bedroom all day. Brian begged me to open the door for about an hour. After that he finally discovered that I wanted space. I received countless message from, who I assumed was, Carly. The first one was getting together to plan the wedding. The next asking if I was okay because I wasn't at dinner. The next saying she was on her way upstairs to talk. Then another saying Brian wasn't with her.

Tonight Brian and I were supposed to have dinner with Carly. Brian must have went without me. Not that it bothered me. I'm glad he went. We both have things we need to figure out.

I rolled off the bed once I heard a knock on the door. I let Carly in and she handed me a bag.

"Here. You have to be starving so I brought you some food. Brian said it was your favorite."

I smiled softly, thanked her, and walked over to the table to eat.

The first few minutes were silent.

"You have every right to be angry with him, you know?"

"Huh," I stuttered to Carly.

"He told me about the agreement. He lied to you- I get that, but he did it for your own benefit. Did you know he went to that diner you worked at once a week for two months? He wanted to meet you and when finally he did, he wanted to get to know you. Then he found out about your family. He wanted to help you but he knew you wouldn't just accept money so he did the only thing he could think of. Was it stupid? Yes. Does he regret it? No, because, in the end, he was given the opportunity to help you. I don't know if you two actually have feelings for each other but he isn't a bad guy. I promise."

After Carly finished I just sat there. There was so much to process.

"I'm going to leave you to your thoughts. If you want someone to talk to, I'm your girl," Carly then stood up smiling and let herself out.

I cleaned up the table and walked into the bedroom. What am I supposed to do now? I know Brian had good intentions but he lied to me.

My phone buzzed indicating I had a text message.

From: Brian Matthews
To: Elena Winters

I'm sorry. I'm staying in Carly's room tonight to give you your space. I'll be up soon to get a few of my things.

He was just trying to help me..... Shouldn't I be thankful? So much is going through my head. Carly had a point. Brian just wants what is best for me.

I heard a door open outside indicating Brian was now in the suite. I stood up and walked over to the bedroom door.

I had to talk with him. This time, I know exactly what I want.

I heard him mumble a few choice words once he realized his things were in the bedroom. Footstep softly approached the door.

"Lena?" I heard from the other side.

It was now or never.

I quickly opened the door and jumped into his arms. He caught me, surprisingly, and had a look of confusion.

"I'm so sorry, Brian. I had no right to be mad at you. All you wanted was to help me and I was too stubborn to see it," I said hugging him tightly and burying my face in his neck.

It took him a couple of seconds to process what I just said.

"And I should have told you the truth before now. I really care about you, Lena."

"I really care about you too, Brian. A lot more than I should."

"Then let's forget about the deal. I like you, a lot. Heck, I even love you.There is no one that could make me feel the way that you do."

I looked at him puzzled.

Brian slowly slipped the ring off my finger and held it in his hands. He softly smiled staring at the ring. He dropped to a knee and looked at me lovingly.

"Elena Winters, I love you more than I will ever love another woman. You are the one I am destined to spend the rest of my life with. I know this isn't your ideal way to find a husband, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I promise to love you and Kade. I promise to give you both the life that you both deserve. Will you please do me the honor of becoming my wife?"

"Yes, Brian. I will," I said as tears rolled down my face.

Brian smiled at me, put the ring back on my finger, and quickly brought his lips to mine.

He slowly pulled away after what seemed like forever and rested his forehead on mine.

"I love you, Brian Matthews."

"And I love you, Elena Winters."

--------

Authors note

Hey readers! I'm not going to leave you hanging. In the epilogue we jump ten years into the future. I can't wait to write it!

Casting
Elena Winters- Anna Kendrick
Brian Matthews- Dave Franco
Carly Matthews- Peyton List

-J