Chapter Twelve

Lifting my head up from the pillow- I rubbed my eyes and glanced around the room. There wasn’t much to see, apart from the drawn curtains and the small bit of sunlight that was breaking through the gap in the window.

I pulled myself up and took a proper look around – I noticed the other half of the bed hadn’t been slept in and a massive relief came over me – I could hardly remember a thing from the night before apart from one of the guys at the table constantly topping up my glass.

I untangled myself from the covers and jumped on my feet, I was wearing a baggy white shirt and not much else and for the life of me, I couldn’t figure out where I had got it from or how I had even managed to do up half the buttons!

The sudden sound of loud ringing was like someone drilling a nail into one of my temples.

'Hello.’ I answered angrily.

‘Have you lost your freaking mind?!’

'Imogen?’

'Rachel is back today and keeps asking where the hell you are! You better get your skinny ass into the office or you might as well go straight to the nearest recruitment agency to find yourself a new job!’

Glancing down at my wrist watch I felt my insides curdle, throwing the phone down onto the bed, I began searching for my clothes.

They were scattered all over the floor and I struggled to focus as I buttoned up my black shirt.

The sunlight outside crippled my eyes but luckily I always remembered to carry a pair of sunglasses with me – come rain or shine they always came in handy, that day more than any other.

 Running through the reception area, I spotted the evil receptionist staring at me. I didn't make eye contact with her but I could tell she was gloating.

'Lucy,’ she said in an ambiguous tone. ‘You have some post.’ Not saying a word, I walked towards her. 'Good night last night?'

'That's really none of your business.'

With the letters in tow, I finally made it to the second floor.

With just a few more feet to go, I would be at my desk all safe and sound from everyone’s beady eyes staring up at me from their desks ‘ she’s late again’ they would be thinking, just when I thought I had made it, Rachel crept up on me suddenly. 'Good afternoon, Lucy.' She snapped.

'I'm so sorry I’m late,’

'We need to talk right away.'

She marched in front of me, picking up speed as we headed for one of the more private meeting rooms.

She sat directly opposite me, and took her time pouring water into a glass.

'I just want to say, I'm so sorry about being late.’

'I don't want to hear any excuses.’ There was a long silence and I would’ve bet my last wage packet she was enjoying watching me squirm. 'I have brought you in here to congratulate you.'

'Sorry?'

'I would like to congratulate you. I spoke with Ethan this morning and he told me that you went with him to the meeting yesterday.'

Wiping my hands against my crumpled skirt – I hoped she didn’t see the trails of sweat.

'Yes, I did.’

'Ethan told me how great you were last night.'

'Sorry, can I have some water?’

'Help yourself.’

I lunged forwards and held the jug with my right hand and began pouring the water.

'As I was saying, Ethan told me how great you were with Jack and his team. He said they were so impressed with the way you carried yourself and how knowledgeable you are in Public relations. Jack was very impressed. So, much so, they have decided to renew their three year contract, with us!'

The jug slid in between my wet palms, causing it to crash onto the floor.

'I’m so sorry!’ I said, bending down , propping the jug back onto the table.

'Is everything okay, Lucy?’

‘I’m fine, I’m just surprised!’

 She dialled a few buttons on the phone next to her and grabbed the receiver. 'Stop being so modest.’  She smiled. ‘Ethan, can you come into meeting room four? Thanks.'

I drank the water down like it was going out of fashion and before I knew it, there was a gentle tap on the door.

'Ethan, sit down!’ said Rachel, proudly.

'I have to rush off to a meeting in a few minutes.’ His well - spoken granular voice sunk into my head, causing me to feel nauseous and elated all at the same time. ’Congratulations, Lucy. You were great last night.'

He shook my hand and I felt his thumb gently rub the outside of my index finger. 'Thank you.'

'So what do you say Ethan, can we have that Party you promised us months ago?' Rachel asked.

'I like the idea. In fact, I think we should make it a weekender!'

 Rachel clapped her hands together, and I had never seen her so animated. 'Great!’

 ‘Oh before I dash off. ‘Said Ethan, his eyes fixed on mine. ‘You didn’t happen to come across a white shirt on your travels this morning did you? I had it as a spare just in case and I can’t seem to find it.’

 His mocking expression drew me in, giving me a strange contrast between utter giddiness and a level of feistiness I didn’t even know existed within me.

‘Not that I know of, sorry.’

 ‘Let me know if you come across it.’ He smiled, closing the door.