Chapter Twenty Two

The hallway to my apartment was jammed with boxes full of Mom’s stuff. Dad had promised to fly over and help move some of it back to England, but he had a last minute call from his friend Tony (something about a golfing emergency) so instead he paid a haulage Company a hefty sum to do the work for him.

It was a real annoyance as I was preparing for my final exam (we had to write a short story of our choice) and I was running out of time to get it finished. If it wasn't my parents getting in the way, it was work.

Zeelee's was ridiculously busy, with only a few days left until Christmas, people were rushing around doing last minute shopping which meant lots of thirsty people.

I promised Oscar that I would do some extra shifts to help him out, but in the back of my mind, I was conscious of the deadline looming. It was also his bright idea for staff to wear reindeer outfits, to get people more in the spirit.

 One busy afternoon, as I served yet another batch of ginger bread lattes I noticed a couple of toddlers pulling at the decorations on the Christmas tree – where are the parents! I wanted to yell.  Seriously! It took us all evening to put that up.

‘Go on.’ said Oscar, appearing from behind me. ‘Go and serve that couple on table four. They’ve been waiting for ages.’ I walked away but not before he playfully ruffled my reindeer antlers.

I walked off, notepad in hand, plastering a fake smile. ‘Sorry about the wait. What can I get you?’

 ‘Lucy?’

Steadying my legs, it took everything I had to keep my composure. ‘Ethan?’

My eyes darted to the strange red – head and then back to him. ‘Are you working here?’

‘Yes, I’m just helping out a friend while I ascertain a certificate in professional writing.’

He nodded his head, and even through the unbearable humiliation everything came, flooding back. ‘That’s, that’s great.’

‘I even get to wear one of these.’ I said squeezing the antlers on top of my head. ‘When do you ever get to wear a reindeer’s outfit at work?’

‘Nowhere, I mean I can’t think of any place that’d let you wear this.’

The red-head sat opposite him laughed and then went back to scanning the menu.

 ‘Well, it sure beats sitting in a boring office all day I can tell you.’

He bit on the inside of his gum and smiled. ‘Well I’m glad you finally found happiness Lucy.’

‘So what can I get you both?’ I snapped – there were many moments in the past I wanted to slap him but I was pretty sure this topped all of them.

 ‘What do you suggest?’

I kept my eyes fixed on the notepad. ‘The gingerbread lattes are proving to be a hit this week.’

‘Then we’ll have two of those please.’

Turning on my heels, I headed towards the back of the café.

 I was surprised at how sad I felt when Mom loaded the final last box into the removals van.

Her taxi was on its way and it was only a matter of time, before I would have the apartment to myself again. I know it sounds crazy, but I had grown accustomed to Mom's annoying breakfast ritual, early wake up calls and the sickly smell of her lavender perfume.

'That's the last of it!' she smiled, pinching my cheek.

'It sure is..'

'How about we go inside and have one more cup of coffee before my taxi arrives?'

 Even though she hadn’t gone yet, the apartment already felt empty.

'Do you want instant?’ I asked, reaching for the coffee jar.

'I’m not fussed.’

Instant coffee was a rarity for us, we would usually take the lazy option and pop downstairs for takeout, but apart from having to work in one, I had vowed to stay away from Cafe's, forever..

‘Mom, I have been thinking.’

'About what dear?'

'I am not quite sure if you will be happy about this or not.’

'Spit it out!’

'Well, as you know I will be finishing my exams soon.’

'Yes.’

'And I’m going to start looking for an agent, publisher etc..’

‘Hurry up and tell me dear, my taxi will be here in a minute.’

‘Well, I found a few good ones.’

'You have? That’s great news!’

'They are in England.’

'What are you saying?'

'I have thought long and hard about this. And I’ve made a decision. After my exams, I am moving back home to England.’

Steadying the cup onto the table, she smiled - the same smile she always gave me whenever I shared some good news. ‘Oh, Lucy - darling! I’m so happy. Your father will be too.’

'Really? You’re happy about it?’

'Of course I am - but what about your friends? - And this place? Won't you miss it all?'

'I guess so. But it’s just better this way.’

'So you'll be moving in with us?’

'Only Until I sort out a place of my own, is that okay?’

'We would love to have you back home with us again! And you can help keep an eye out on your father, you know, with that Martha Battenberg, woman.'

'Mom!'

'Four eyes are better than two!'

The sound of a car pulling up outside, turned my stomach upside down.

'That’s your cue.’ I smiled.

She held me tight, and for once I welcomed the smell of lavender even if it did make me heave. ‘Good bye sweetheart, I’ll see you soon.’

'Safe journey, call me as soon as you land.’

'We had some good times in this shabby little place didn’t, we?’

'We did indeed.’

As soon as the taxi drove off out of sight, I reluctantly walked into the empty apartment with only one thing on my mind, booking my flight home.