Chapter Eighteen

The sound of the alarm clock drilled through my head like a foghorn, even switching sides didn’t help, add to that Mom’s early morning sing song and I had myself a nightmarish start to the day.

Pulling myself out of bed, I made my way to the bathroom and the stark realization that today was the day that I would have to do what I don’t really want to do hit me like a ton of bricks. Allowing the water to trickle down my back, I scrubbed some of the opulent conditioner my cousin bought me the Christmas before – I figured  that if today was going to be as crappy as I thought it would be at least my hair would look great.

‘Bye Mom!’ I shouted out from the hallway.        

She appeared from the kitchen, her apron covered in pancake mix and flour. ‘And just where do you think you are going without breakfast?’

‘I don’t eat breakfast you know that.’

She moved in closer, tossing a plateful of pancakes in my hand. I knew she wouldn’t give up until I at least tried one. ‘Fine,’ I said, chowing down on the syrupy doughy mix. I hated to admit it, but it actually tasted really good. In between Mom’s self – righteous – I told you so expression and me tucking into my third one- I couldn’t help but bring up the dad subject, a conversation we had both been avoiding for weeks. ‘Mom, can I ask you something?’

‘Sure, anything darling!’

‘Don’t you ever miss Dad?’

Stepping back a little, she began picking at the flour on her apron. ‘Did he put you up to this?’

‘No!’

‘Have you been speaking to him behind my back?’

‘I haven’t spoken to him for weeks!’

‘Well you can tell him I have a date.’ She scrunched at the ends of her hair, and pushed her lips forward into a pout – not another pouter. ‘His name is Antonio, he lives in the block across the street – he’s only forty five. He says he prefers the older more elegant lady, he’s taking me to see Chicago!’

‘Are you seriously considering going?’

‘Why ever not? You do have a few things to learn about the male species my dear. The first rule of thumb - if they can do it then so can you. Don’t ever love a man,’

‘More than he loves you.’ I said, rolling my eyes. ‘I’ve heard it all before.’

‘You’d do well to remember it then wouldn’t you dear?’

‘What’s that supposed to mean?’

‘Just learn from me is all I’m saying.’ She gave me a wink, before tottering off back into the kitchen.

 ‘Bing!’ The sweat inducing sound of the elevator allowed me a quick preen of the hair before the door slid open revealing an office full of people, the buzzing sound of fax machines and the clacking sound of people tapping viciously on their keyboards.

Taking a quick glance around the office, I analysed my surroundings before marching quickly to my desk – the knot in my stomach pounded harder and growing bigger with each step I took.

The row of bicycles and scooters tucked inside the alcove just to the left of accounts was something I’d never noticed before. In fact there were a lot of things I hadn’t noticed like how the layout of the kitchen was so inconvenient considering it housed over two hundred people, the fluctuating temperature oscillating between extreme heat to deathly cold, the green worn out carpet and not to mention the endless wires behind the desks.