Chapter Twenty

It was a wet, foggy morning as I made my way down Viaduct Street for the last time.

I decided to go all out and wear the dark blue Chanel dress, I bought in London once - I matched it up with a pair of thick black tights and small heeled shoes. My hair had grown into a mass of waves due to the fog and the rain we had been having and I was more than a little peeved that I’d spent ages that morning trying to perfect it with straighteners, ‘Some people pay to have hair like yours’ –Mom said as I clung onto my GHD’s for dear life.

Shaking off my umbrella I took a left into Zeelee’s, a coffee place I frequented since starting at Trask.

'Give me five minutes, Lucinda!’ shouted Oscar, my favourite waiter.

I am not sure why he called me Lucinda, but I didn't mind, in fact, I thought it was quite a nice name; it sounded a lot more sophisticated than plain old Lucy.

He darted around the café running from one machine to the other in order to whittle down the long queue of red-faced people waiting to be served.

 ‘Do you need me to help?' I asked,                 

'You have experience, no?'

'Well, I can give it a try.’

'What are you waiting for?’ he said, shoving a spare apron into my hand. ‘Put this on!' 

I quickly tied the string around my waist and pulled my hair back.

'I will teach you how to use the till as you go, you serve this queue.'

Taking a deep breath, I smiled at the lady standing in front of me.' What can I get you?'

'Two lattes and one of these.' she said, throwing a blueberry muffin onto the counter.

I scanned the items and the till drawer flew open. 'That will be nine dollars, please madam.'

Throwing the exact amount onto the counter, she grabbed her stuff and walked away.

'Charming,’ I whispered, smiling over at Oscar.

'You are a natural Lucinda! If you ever need a job you know where to come!'

'Thanks, I might just hold you to that.' Between us we had managed to beat the morning rush and  it was nice and calm.

'How will I ever repay you?'

'Free coffee would be nice!'

‘Any time Lucinda any time.' He said, handing me a steamy take out cup.

'I have to get to my real job now, happy to be of service.’

A few blocks down, and I could see the Trask building – I was reminded of my first morning when I set eyes on the tall building, the intimidating people walking in and out of the revolving doors, Ivy the evil receptionist. Fast forward to nearly a year later, and it was hard to imagine how different things were back then.

 Walking into the building, the heat from the air vents welcomed me in, Ivy, was already sat behind the reception desk taking her first few calls of the morning, we hardly acknowledged each other and it was apparent that some things never change.

 As soon as I reached the second floor, the first thing I noticed was Imogen stuffing a green Tiffany’s bag under her desk, I smiled at her as I walked by and we both knew she had been caught red-handed. ‘It’s mine.’