Book 3⌇2. Siphon

Chapter 2 ∣  Siphon

-Lucca

The next night, Evie is still hidden away in our room. She won't let anyone in, not even myself. Rainier has recovered; his willingness to fight to the death surprised Locaine. Unfortunately, we will not have time to test Janie until we have relocated.

"It's been arranged for us to relocate to Dyer, Washington," Locaine speaks to me, as we walk down the hallway toward Evie's and my room.

"Evie can't leave," Annika stops the two of us, blocking our path.

"Little hunter," Locaine sighs, trying to understand what is going on with his daughter, "the hunters have set their sights on our current location. We need to move before they can track our movements."

Annika is taken aback, "What?"

"We need to leave. Tonight," I reply, shifting around Annika. She glares at me, throwing her arm out and pinning me against the wall.

"She can't protect herself," Annika's glare softens slight, as I remove her arm from my chest.

Annika turns her gaze from me and locks her eyes with Locaine.

Isn't that just nice, having a little chat without including me. I need to see Evie. I must be sure.

Annika allows me to move past her, staying near Locaine as I approach the dark oak wood door to our room, taking the metal handle into my hand. I open the door inward; the room is mostly dark, save for the small light that Evie has turned on beside the bed. The light cast a soft glow over her body as she lies on her side facing away from me. I close the door behind me, locking it.

The sound startles her, turning from her side to lie on her back, propping up on her elbows. She is wearing black yoga pants and a loose-fitting aqua tank-top while her long white hair frames her face.

"Lucca, I'm so sorry..."

I walk toward her, the bed dipping as I crawl up to her, lying down beside her on my side. Evie is still resting on her elbows as I lift the bottom of her tank-top, leaving it right before her breasts. I place the palm of my right hand against her stomach, feeling the faintest pulsation flickering back.

I was right.

"I-I was trying to tell you yesterday..." her voice trails off, as though I will be angry with her.

My eyes lift from her stomach, looking deeply into the whitish blue pools that hold so much fear and sadness. I ask her in confusion, "Why are you sorry?"

"This makes me weak. My blood magic will barely connect with me, forcing all my strength and focus on this little being," Evie is upset with herself. She's just so used to being in control and it frightens her that the one ability she has, she can hardly tap into its power.

"You know," I whisper, removing my hand from her stomach, placing a gentle kiss just above her waistline.

"Yes?" She asks hesitantly.

My lips trail up and over her belly button, leaving behind the sincerest kisses as I want her to feel all the love I have for her. At this moment, I don't want her to doubt herself or think of herself any less considering recent events.

"Letting someone take care of you, does not make you weak," I push myself up, so our faces are just inches apart. Placing one of my hands against her cheek, I bring my lips to hers. At this moment, I feel the tension release from her, coming down off her elbows and resting her back against the bed. Evie wraps her arms around my head, entwining her fingers into the back of my hair.