Book 3⌇16. Last Hunter Standing

Chapter 16 ∣  Last Hunter Standing

-Zak

I never exactly understood what Evicka meant when she would say it took a lot of focus to maintain a connection to her blood magic. She trained her whole life to be able to control it and here I am driven by my hate and rage toward this ranger who slaughtered the one person I loved in this world...truly...madly, deeply loved her and I couldn't protect her. I'm not a vampire. I don't have the supernatural strength or speed, let alone the ability to sense what an opponent will do next...

...until now.

"Zak..." Rainier's voice trails off as he marvels at the aura that had been created around my body, "you have the ability of blood magic? It was in you all this time, just locked away..."

The amount of focus I have to use in order to keep the connection alive is minimal. It is as though it had always been a part of me and it has finally handed the reins over to me.

I have control...

Enock jerks hard on the chain sickle, sending Rainier's unbalance form toward him. However, he quickly recovers, flipping over Enock and landing on the opposite side of him, retracting his chain blade and snapping it to his side.

"How does it feel, knowing your sister's blood is now my weapon. The weapon that will end your life," I narrow my eyes at Enock, walking toward him. The blood continues to dance around me, waiting for me to command it.

"Tell me," Enock growls, "how fast can your friend move?"

I'm shocked by his question, not completely comprehending what he's asking. That's when Enock's hand flies to his left boot, revealing a third gun he'd concealed from the purebloods. He dodge-rolls onto the ground, evading the blood spear I'd sent soaring his way, my arm extending out.

"Rainier, run!" I yell, not wanting to lose another family member today. Rainier notices Enock's movements, dashing toward the line of hunters that sever as guardians for the vampires, rolling onto the ground as the shot rings out.

He misses.

The ranger missed.

I see why though.

The hand he'd used to shoot the gun with, is the one that is slowly decaying with time. Rainier had managed to duck down beside Annika, his lips moving, but I can't hear what he's saying. Her expression alters to one of concern, turning to Locaine as their eyes lock in a silent stare.

What's happening to Enock?

"Zak," Locaine's voice is loud, heard clear across the clearing. Enock whips around and takes aim with his gun, another shot leaving the chamber. My hand crosses in front of me, the blood wall deflecting the bullet and casting it to the ground. Locaine informs me, "Evie's fangs never pierced a vein. She just broke the skin."

"Her bite was not deep enough to turn him," Erebus nods, "he's infected with a virus...this is what happens when you are not compatible...when a pureblood doesn't kill you right away."

Enock glares at me, not wanting to believe the words that come from the elder. He pulls the trigger again, my wall coming to block whatever he's about to throw at me. The click meets my ears.

There are no bullets left.

Enock throws the gun to the ground, his eyes narrowing at me, "So, I just have to outlive this inevitable death sentence that bitch of a pureblood forced upon me...just long enough to kill you."

"What are you waiting for then?" I ask, shrugging my shoulders as I extend my arms out quickly to my sides and cross them in front of my chest. The blood releases the shield around me, soaring toward Enock with astounding speed, the tips turning into serrated knives. Enock dashes to his right, but I cut him off with one of the bloody blades, putting up a wall and forcing him to find another direction to run to. He has three options, come at me, challenge my second bloody blade, or throw himself closer to the line of hunters.