Book 3⌇7. One Plan, Two Missions

Chapter 7 ∣  One Plan, Two Missions

-Evicka

It feels like someone shoots me in the heart, Lucca's strong arms wrapping around me securely.

"T-that was..." I can't even bring myself to admit what Lucca and I already know. I feel Lucca's pain as he blinks away the tears that form in his eyes. He won't show weakness, not now when we must focus on escaping from this underground prison, protecting myself and his unborn child is his highest priority.

"This way," Lucca is stepping around hunters he'd just recently knocked out who had been guarding the exit. I'm hesitant about leaving for one reason, I have no idea what Orion will do to my family if I run away...but Lucca is persistent and insistent on us leaving this place.

It's easy to sense the hunters' movements, weaving around them and evading their eyes. It doesn't take that long until we reach a tunnel leading to a metal ladder to the earthen ceiling above us. Lucca motions for me to climb first, not wanting to leave me behind and alone. It will be much easier for him to keep an eye on me from the ground, than leading us.

Reaching the top of the ladder that is embedded into the wall, I touch my hand against the soft and slightly damp surface, pushing lightly to reveal the exit to the surface. My eyes glance down beneath me before I smile.

We're almost out.

We can't come back to this place, Evie.

I'm taken aback, becoming slightly emotional at the thought of leaving my family behind and at the mercy of Orion. I shake my head and attempt to take a step down from the ladder, only to have Lucca swiftly catch me from behind and whisper, "No, you can't, angel."

"Lucca...they'll kill them!" I push against him, but he holds me still in his strong arms.

I said no. It was your mother's orders.

She'd never do that.

Wouldn't she?

My eyes fill with tears, my sorrow blatantly written across my face as I lift my chin back up to the small exit above me. Feeling Lucca's hands gently slide away from my body as I climb up out of the underground city, emerging into the bedroom of an abandoned house. I glance around me, stepping away from the hole in the floor to observe my surroundings. Lucca is behind me in the next minute, glancing around for himself and kicking the door in the floor shut.

"We need to alert the coven," Lucca begins, "they feel the loss just as much as we do and are probably wondering what is happening."

"We need to find Erebus," I turn around, my eyes meeting his hazel ones as I whisper, "it's the only chance we have for peace."

Lucca shakes his head, "Orion killing Rynn and Eryx, I can't even see us making peace. Locaine won't allow it now."

"Orion wouldn't do that..."

"You know him that well?" Lucca narrows his eyes on me, slight anger coming from him. I reach out my hands, touching both of his arms.

I state, "It wasn't him. I'd bet my life on it. He wants this to stop as much as I do and would never jeopardize it. What bothers me, is that my father should outlive both Rynn and Eryx...that's the only reason I know for sure. Orion said only my father would die...no one else."

Lucca appears to be letting everything settle in before saying, "I'm not sure how I feel about you going on a search across the world."

"Would you rather me sit around and wait to be captured again?" I know this bothers him, his muscles tensing beneath my touch, "No, I didn't think so. Please, Lucca...we need to find that journal."