Book 3⌇5. Guardian

Chapter 5 ∣  Guardian

-Evicka

"That was wrong of him," I place the stray strands of my hair that fall forward as Orion brings me to the window looking out from his office. They have everything they need to survive down here. Hunters wander the underground haven, living normal lives without the fear of being hunted and killed.

"Your father," Orion notes, standing beside me as his eyes drift over a group of hunters walking toward the building, "was not always this 'nice' and caring person as you would describe him."

"Orion?" I ask, bringing my attention to him.

His gaze meets mine and he asks, "Yes?"

"I don't want to seem rude or out of line asking this question, please don't take offense," I'm hesitant to ask and don't want to throw him into the deep end of the anger pool.

His eyebrows rise as he nods and says, "Very well, go ahead."

"I know a bite of a pureblood is supposed to either kill or turn anyone," I start. I've been thinking a lot about this ever since learning about the history of the hunters, "I know it is pretty much fatal to humans. But, if a hunter is akin to vampires and they have vampiric blood already running through their veins. Wouldn't a pureblood bite automatically turn them?"

Orion seems in deep thought before stating, "The vampires cast out the hunters a long time ago. I doubt they would want to be turned completely into what they came from. Resentment is a hard thing to overcome when the hate has lingered so long."

"What if that choice could end this fighting?" I ask.

"And the purebloods?" Orion asks in return.

"You would need them to turn the hunters," I reply, trying to come to some agreement with him.

Orion narrows his eyes, turning his back and walking away from the window, "Again, this won't solve the problem of them killing humans."

"We can't control vampires that are not part of a coven..." I plead.

"I won't force the hunters to turn," Orion looks back at me and continues, "that would be a sole case by case decision. If we could kill any vampire that steps out of line and kills a human...then and only then, do I think we may come to an agreement. Along with breaking a complete hold on this world and allowing the humans to go about their lives once again."

"There will always be those that hate humans, seeing them as the weaker species," I sigh and move away from the window, walking back to the couch Orion has allowed for me to stay on.

"Again," Orion steps closer to me, "case by case."

"We're not all bad," I sit, my eyes staring up at Orion's white irises. "we protect our own like any species..."

Orion appears distracted for a moment, his eyes becoming bloodstained, "It seems, some of your coven has arrived. Though, they are at the furthest access point. Kadessa did well."

"What?!" My heart skips a beat, trying to decipher what he's saying.

"Oh?" Orion glances in my direction, "Technically we are located at Pleasant Camp, B.C. in Canada. Though, where we are currently located, is under Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. There are many access points, and if one of the hunters were ever caught and interrogated about our location, they were ordered to bring the vampires there."

"Why?" My voice is a whisper, unsure of the plan he holds for my family.

"To trap them exactly where I want them," Orion finishes, "I wouldn't want them walking right through my front door, now would I? Besides, the only one that will die regardless of our decision here, will be Locaine."