Book 3⌇13. Showdown

Chapter 13 ∣  Showdown

-Evicka

My parents are within my sights, along with Killian and Orion...however, there is one vampire that I do not recognize. She stands near Orion, unsure of exactly how this all is about to play out. I breathe in deeply and feel the connection. Her eyes found me, I notice the tell-tale sign of a hunter, the white irises staring at me with apprehension

This is the hunter that my father turned.

The way she presses herself into Orion's side has me thinking she must mean something to him. Whether her life had been at risk, or that Orion asked my father to turn her, I can't quite put my finger on the cause for her transformation.

The sky is growing light, the sun threatening to kiss our forms if we are to stay out in the open like this for more than a few hours. If the hunters manage to keep us unaware of the timing of the rising sun...we'll all be killed.

I step forward and away from the covens, closing the distance between them and my family. Lucca is right behind me, Erebus on my right as the purebloods come forward to join me as well. I notice the hunters in the distance are growing anxious, ready to attack if we make any sudden movements.

Some of the hunters look as though they are about to charge us, while others remain unsure and uneasy, gazing at Orion with pleading expressions.

Select few hunters do not want a bloodbath to take place here.

My mother and father smile at me relieved that I'm okay. After all, the sole purpose that they had entered the underground city was to save me. Instead, coven members had been killed and my parents' lives had been placed in danger...to come after me.

"Evie," my father pulls me into a warm embrace, not able to completely close the gap between us. I hold onto him tightly; glad to have my family back once again. My father pulls back and looks me up and down before asking, "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine," Lucca snorts and I glare at him, "really, I am."

My mother's eyes are full of concern. I knew this was going to happen, but I don't want the focus on me...there is much more at stake here then my life and this little being's.

Erebus shifts past me, standing in front of Orion as the female vampire-hunter moves behind him. She'd just been turned and is now feeling the strongest pureblood presence in the world if I were her; I'd be frightened as well.

"Erebus?" Orion questions Erebus, knowing this must be his grandfather, but not entirely accepting it.

"Yes, and you must be my grandson, Orion?" Erebus responds with a faint smile on his face. He then regards the female behind him and asks, "And who is this?"

Orion never gets the chance to answer before some of the hunters surge toward us, taking all of us off guard. That's when I see him.

Enock is leading a group of hunters toward us; their blades are drawn as they move to close the distance.

Take Zak and Cristela with you and get back behind the covens.

Dad, bu-

This isn't up for discussion. Get out of here now!

I breathe in deeply, watching as the newly turned vampire, Cristela, moves toward me, "Zak, let's go!" I yell at him, turning around and running in the direction of the combined covens.

Cristela and Zak are right behind me, finding sanctuary as soon as we meet up with Kenzie, beckoning us through the large group. After making sure they are safe, I push my way back through to stand next to Kenzie and Kato, watching with hesitation as Enock withdraws a gun, pointing it at Orion.