Book 3⌇12. To Save a Life

Chapter 12 ∣  To Save a Life

-Orion

Cristela was one of the first hunters to accept me...I'd grown very close to her, but it always seemed that everything kept getting in the way. I hadn't taken the time to slow down and spend more time with her, my recent plans steamrolling forward and leaving her behind in the dust. Taking the time, we had together for granted, figuring that once we had made amends with the vampires, we could live in peace and she would accept me as her mate.

Now, the future that I have planned for us is shattered.

How did she end up like this?

"Cris!" I cry out, the pain in my voice is evident as I pull her into my arms, her body collapsing. She continues to cough up blood, her lungs pooling with it.

She's going to die. The one person who I have come to love...her life is about to flicker out.

"Please...Cris..." her lips turn up in a soft smile, bringing her hand to the side of my face and touching me gently.

"I-I'm s-so-sorry...t-they for-forced us to at-t-ack the v-vampires..." her words are quiet, trying to explain her actions as though I'm upset with her. I can't bring myself to ever be angry with her, she believes in everything I stand for, it's Kadessa and Enock that sent my hunters into the field to murder the vampires.

Zak stands in front of Rae, keeping her away from our small group as he aims both guns at her. This new figure, Killian, he's come to save Locaine and Annika...he's loyal to them through and through. I only wish that more of the hunters who I protect are the same way. Some are forced into following Kadessa and Enock, while others willingly obey their orders to kill every vampire they came across.

I'm upset that Cris had been pulled into their evil plans as well.

Locaine releases Annika, walking around to stand in front of myself as Cris' life hangs in the balance between life and death. Her white irises are hazy, her eyelashes brushing her cheeks as her lids become heavy.

Locaine kneels in front of us, his chilling blue eyes locking with mine, running his hand through his winter white hair.

His words make my heart lurch almost out of my chest, "I can attempt to save her life."

If Evie's and I's theory is correct, a hunter won't die by the bite of a pureblood...it would turn them for sure. Am I willing to test this theory on Cris? I don't have much of a choice, she's slowly slipping away from me, her heartbeat slowing down.

"Please. Save her, she's done nothing wrong..." I look down at her fragile form held close to me.

Locaine nods, "I must caution you though," he pauses, my questioning eyes searching his face, "if she is compatible, you know the affliction of the transition..."

"I know," I reply, memories flooding back to me of the night I was left alone to die. The torment and agony my body went through was enough to push me over the edge and end my own life. But, my revenge was the only thing that spurred me to allow the transformation to complete itself.

Locaine continues, "Second, in order to properly transition, she'll need to drink the blood of her sire."

"What?!" I'm confused. I hadn't had to do that to transform into the monster I'd become.

"The way Enos made sure you were rejected by the rest of the vampire society...he never accepted you as his fledgling. Now, if you want her to be accepted, you'll allow her to feed off me," Locaine watches me carefully, letting every word sink in and understanding exactly what he's telling me.