Book 3⌇8. Understanding

Chapter 8 ∣  Understanding

-Lucca

If that being inside of her has caused her to almost die twice...I'm not buying that she's completely in control again. Sure, Evie appears to have her blood magic back, but to what extent? Is she the one controlling it...

...or is it the unborn child?

My biggest fear, could it potentially kill her when she gives birth?

I'm not hiding anything.

I lie.

I can't believe I'm lying to her. If she knows what I'm thinking, she'll worry than she already is. We need to focus on finding Erebus, and the last thing we need is both of us with sidetracked minds.

Don't give me that. I know you're lying.

I trust you...can't you trust me?

I don't blame her...

"Evie, open the door, now!" I growl, deciding it won't be a very good idea to break down the door and cause an alarm. As it is, we look like an old married couple who are having a disagreement. It doesn't need to escalate any further than that.

In the next second, Evie stands in the open doorway. The sudden rush of the door opening has her hair flying around her before settling around her form once again. I hold my ground, watching her eye me suspiciously.

"If I find out that you're lying to me, I promise that you'll regret it," she narrows her eyes and her voice holds that same signature tone that her father has. I reach out to touch her arm, but she just shifts around me, pulling herself as far away as she can. I don't like doing this to her, but I'm not about to cause her more worry about my concerns. She needs all her strength and focus on finding Erebus, traveling across the Drake Passage, then we will be standing in the snow...

Evie wanders toward the queen size bed, pulling the covers back on the furthest side and then sliding in.

Emotional much?

I sigh, taking a few strides toward the bed and mimic her movements. Loosening my boots and kicking them off, I take Erebus' journal and place it on the nightstand bordering the bed on my side. Taking my jacket off, I slip in next to her, leaning on my side and wrapping an arm around her waist.

She growls at me, placing one of her hands on mine and pushing it off her.

"Are you serious right now?" I feel the hurt and anger rushing through me. All I want to do is comfort her, I know that she was worried about her parents. I'm not helping with my secret, but that is for her own good.

"Dead serious," she replies flatly, her back facing toward me.

I've had enough, wrapping my arm once more around her waist and pulling her gently against my chest. She tries to wiggle away from me, the attempts at prying my hand from her waist are useless this time.

"Lucca, stop!" I can hear the pain in her voice, a concealed sob only slightly escaping.

Rolling her onto her back, I entrap my arm at her side and lean on my free arm, hovering just above her. Evie gazes up at me with tears in her eyes.

"Evie?" I ask, but she just turns her face away from me.

I lift my hand from the side of her body, placing the palm softly against her delicate face and slowly bring her beautiful whitish-blue eyes back to me. She may suspect that I am hiding my feelings from her, but this isn't totally about me.

"Evie, please tell me," I whisper, "what's this really about?" Her faint breathing and steady heartbeat is the only sound in the room, our eyes locked. I brush the pad of my thumb along her cheekbone and ask, "Please?"