Chapter 27: The Chase

Legolas stood in what was once the most noisy and alive room in the entire palace; it was now dead and desolate, the guests having dissipated shortly after the alarm bells sounded. He stood in the empty silence contemplating whether or not the Guardian's plan was working out for her, and he still felt somewhat peeved at himself for not inquiring into her name.

While he was not proud of having crossed his father to get his own way, he didn't feel guilty about it. As far as Thranduil knew this whole event had transpired out of spontaneity. He felt more empowered by taking the matter into his own hands. He poured himself a small glass of red wine and sipped at it, relishing the aloneness and solitude in his small moment of triumph.

Without warning the doors to the room swung open; ricocheting back off the walls as they reached their maximum berth. The King charged in followed by a small group of guards, and disconcerted ones at that. They marched past him not even noticing him, he stood at ease a watched closely.

"What do you mean they're gone?! ALL OF THEM?!" Thranduil bellowed angrily. For Legolas it was an uncommon sight. To see his father in such a blind rage was rarer than a blue moon, though this time there was a good reason, he had been cheated out of something he wanted, and wanted badly too.

"I am sorry my liege, our numbers were stretched too thin across the palace with the celebrations, we simply couldn't have stopped them!" a young and timid guard explained, pleading in a tone not fit for someone who was supposed to be a captain of the kings guard.

Legolas slowly made his way around the room, silently stepping and listening all the while, it seemed his father felt no reason to believe he had any part in this; he was putting all the blame on the Guardian.

Thranduil sighed and cast them out with orders to find them, and to kill if necessary. Legolas knew he didn't truly mean for them to kill, if he still wanted any chance of that prophecy not being fulfilled they would need to remain alive.

"This is what I get for trusting a Dwarrow Guardian!" he cursed himself, gently taking his head in his hand and shaking it from side to side. "I am truly that much of a fool?"

Legolas, as much as he despised his father in ways, loved him too much to continue watching him in this depressed slump; he came forward and respectfully bowed before speaking.

"You are not a fool father; you are the most noble and wise of those that I know." He told his father, perhaps embellishing at tad.

"And what more than that?" Thranduil asked of him, refusing to make eye contact with his own son and heir, only turning to hide the pained expression of failure his face bore.

Legolas sighed as silently as he could, it was in many ways his fault his father felt like he did, but he felt he knew just how to fix it.

"You are our King... my king! Worthy of all the people's of Middle-Earth's respect!" he exclaimed, harshly and matter-of-factly, trying to make his father see sense and that his moping was useless.

He noticed Thranduil stood straighter at that comment but still he sought for more, he spun sharply and shot a disbelieving glare at his son "Then why do they not flock to our doors baring offerings and like?"

Legolas thought for a beat before answering, "Because you hide here, in your fortress, they know not your worth or... leadership. You must show them to win their hearts."

While not what he had wanted or even planned to say, if he had taken any longer in his response his father would have taken his words to be lies. He now feared his words to him would kindle the flames of a war. When it came to power and absolute control, he could be assured Thranduil would be their and destroying everything that prevented him from reaching his goals.