Chapter 21: All the Comforts of Home

Another two days passed, nothing much to speak of happened. Everyone went about their own business, Braerka and Thorin spent time reacquainting themselves, the others sat fixing up what gear they had left, browsing the contents of Beorn's home or, as Fili did, just lying on the grass basking the light and heat of the sun.

He had all but gotten used to the fact that his brother spent every second with 'her' as he had come to call her. He couldn't get used to the fact that her name was Braerka; he felt it didn't suit her as much as her title of 'Shepherd' did, but he really couldn't do anything about it, he would have to get used to it one way or another.

Apart from her name the one thing that found annoyed him about her was her constant asking about the Soul Reaver. Every day at three or four time she would ask Gandalf to return it, the wizard's reply every time was no and she became unbearable to all but Kili when he did. Fili had taken to escaping outside.

He now lay among the many wild flowers of Beorn's garden, in the distance he heard the not so faint chuckles and teases from his brother, most-likely directed at 'her'. Since they had somewhat become an item it was difficult for him to get a second alone with Kili, it was either just him on his own or Kili and 'her'. He didn't like, not one bit, he had been so used to his brother always being by his side that he had never taken a second to imagine what life would be like if he ever actually left or in this case met someone. Now that it had happened Fili was discovering that he really, really, didn't like it.

He cursed himself for not appreciating his brother's company more, now that it was so scarce he was realising how much he actually needed it. It was Kili who would always be there to lift his spirits after being scolded by Thorin; it would always be Kili who would dream up some crazy plan to get them out of their bored slump. But at the moment none of that was happening, Kili was too busy courting 'her' and Fili had nothing better to do than watch the clouds drift by.

He considered his thoughts then he sighed, 'Wish Beorn would hurry and get back, this place is getting old...'

All he really wanted was to get back on the road, but he knew he would probably regret it once he actually did. While having time to relax and put his feet up was nice, it left him with gallons of unspent energy and resulted in sleepless nights.

He turned his head in response to a loud squeal. He saw his brother take a hold of 'her' waist and begin dotting her cheeks and neck with playful kisses. At least Kili had someone to burn off his extra energy with.

He exhaled loudly, shaking his head, and sat up removing his pipe from his pocket. He lit the small measure of 'Old Toby' Gandalf had given him, though it wasn't his usual it was as good as. He found the soothing fumes more calming than of any tobacco he'd ever smoked and after everything that had happened to them he was very grateful for it.

Aside from traversing the wilds and assisting in the killing of a few thousand year old dragon and of course reclaiming their long lost homeland, he hadn't really expected that this quest would consist of much more. But goblins, orcs, constant detours and strangers who just happen to be, in a weird way, indirectly related to you, it was a little too much.

All he wanted was to prove himself worthy of the title of King Under the Mountain for when his time came.

He sucked in one large and deep breath and then let it out slowly, attempting to make a fairly large smoke-ring, it turned out to be more oblong than circular, but he was pleased with it. In the past few days he had learned to appreciate the small things.

He turned at hearing a loud gasp from behind him, it was Braerka again.

Fili rolled his eyes and watched as Kili, crudely sitting atop 'her', began tickling her sides roughly through the thin material of her shirt; she was wriggling and screaming for him to stop. He didn't heed her cries and only tickled her harder revelling in her laughter. She however didn't seem to like it. She rolled him over and took precedence on top of him, tutting and shaking her finger at him. Kili sighed in annoyance like a toddler as she got up off him. She wandered a few steps away and then caught Fili staring, she then sauntered over to him.