Chapter 6: The Long Run

Sprinting as fast as she could, she tried desperately to catch up to them, but her injuries were once again getting the better of her. Every time she tried to push herself to run faster a sharp spike of pain would slow her down, for some reason the crystal had again refused to work; even Oin's foul medicine hadn't helped. She hated it and what made it worse was the knowledge that to the wargs she was now an easy target.

She took a short cut across the rocky plain trying to catch up, weaving between the tall outcropped pillars and hurdling over the smaller ones. From among the rocks she heard the turmoil unfurling in the distance, growling, barking, and orcish cursing. She forced one foot in front of the last, ignoring the pain and using only her will power to drive herself forward, so far it seemed to be working.

Braerka caught sight of them ahead, 'Yes! Finally caught up!' she exclaimed, finding a new energy come from nowhere making her sprint harder and faster.

Her hopes were dimmed however when they turned back the way they came, looking to the point of their distress she saw the wargs and their riders galloping past hot on the tail of Radagast, the wizard had been right the wargs would have a tough time catching those rabbits!

Following their path but a fair distance behind she continued her pursuit; she was going to catch up to them one way or another. She kept pushing herself, fighting past the almost insufferable pain that was begging her to stop. She had been through worse and survived, she wasn't going to let something this minor defeat her.

On hearing a growl she took cover behind the nearest high rock. Peering out over the stone she saw a huge black warg, battered and starved, and its orc rider ascend the outcropped rock ahead of her, the warrior inside her pulled through and won over her cautious side as she realised beyond the rock was were Thorin and the others had run.

Taking no time to think she charged at the unsuspecting beast, drawing her newly attained broadsword and swinging it hard into its flank. It howled out in pain buckling under its own weight, its rider moved to strike her from above when she dived off the other side of the rock barely missing the rusted blade it wielded.

The maddened hound followed but she was ready for it; on hitting the ground she rolled out of its path and spun swinging the sword as she did, just missing the wargs head. It charged at her knocking her backwards and off her feet, she fell into it and rolled again and pushing herself up.

The warg snarled and so did its rider; the creature began another charge at the beckoning of the orc. She was ready; when it came she sidestepped and buried her sword into its neck. She moved to strike down its rider but he was already on the ground, blood spouting from its neck; she turned to see the company pressed against the rock, Kili a few steps forward of them holding his bow. She had no time to thank him however as the warg still living, only barely, struggled up from the ground.

It turned to jump on her but Kili shot another arrow halting its advance she took the chance to end its life. Raising the broadsword high she buried it in its skull and twisted. Its pitiful whimpers ceased as she withdrew the blade.

She turned round to face them returning the now blood-stained blade to her belt. They stared at her mystified. Thorin especially, his expression was that of admiration and confusion, she couldn't help but wonder if he subconsciously knew who she was already.

"What?" she asked them, somewhat confused herself but knowing full well they wouldn't have expected her to be able to do what she had just done.

They said nothing and a few seconds passed in silence before nearing barks and wails of the other wargs spilt it. They all looked in the direction of the din; they must have heard their comrades death cries, they hadn't been quick enough to silence them; and now they were coming.