Chapter 15: The Great Escape

Braerka stood watching angrily as the Goblin chief gave orders to his minions and had her pulled off side and held in place by two rather brutishly large goblins. Her rage had faded quickly and now her back was beginning to ache, and she had been right the barbs atop the whip heads, they had more than likely torn her skin, she felt damp she assumed the Goblins strike had been strong enough to draw blood.

She felt Thorin's eyes tear into her from behind. She may not have had long to know him in her early life but she knew he had high morals, he now knew that she had in a way deceived him, from knowing him she knew he didn't take well to being lied to but so much time had passed; he'd lost her, she'd matured and so had he.

He had changed and forgotten the girl she was, so much so he didn't even see similarities between her and The Shepherd, even though they were one and the same; he looked at her with disgust and hatred now, a fiery hot anger poured from every pore of his being. She knew she had lied but she had only given him the information that he had asked for. If he had to blame someone it should be himself; but he wouldn't she knew that, it was Thorin after all. She hoped she survived long enough to explain herself to him before the past caught up with her.

The goblins were cheering and screeching loudly now, the torture machines were drawing near, Braerka took a few moments to take in the situation. They were trapped, the way in was shut and the way out was more than likely shut too, that or heavily guarded. They could do nothing, once again she felt helpless, she wasn't used to this feeling, she was always in control, in charge giving orders, as Thorin had taught her be. But now she was stuck in the grip of goblins, powerless and unable to help. She felt somewhat responsible for the hopeless expressions on the company's faces.

She looked to Fili and Kili, who as always were by each other's side, they wrestled against the laughing goblins pushing and shoving them about, Fili looked angered like his uncle though his features were softer; he had hatred only for the goblins. Kili however looked right at her, his expression stern and focused; he pushed against the goblins though his movements were second nature more of a reflex than a chosen action. For all the pain he had suffered he seemed oblivious to it.

He would glare at the hideous goblins before looking back to her, his gaze softening as he did. Each time he did, she felt sick to the stomach, how would he react to the truth? She had become fond of him and his happy disposition, would that change if he found out? She chose not to dwell on it; there were more serious issues at hand to be dealt with, like getting out of there for starters.

She battled with the strong disfigured hands holding her in place, why had they chosen to hold only her and none of the others? This concerned her, this King of Goblins seemed to have something else planned for her, perhaps he would try to hand her over to The Blacks Eyes once he had gotten his prize from handing Thorin over to the Pale Orc. These things at this point she could only guess, but no matter, she wouldn't allow the goblins to lay another finger on any of the company if, and when, she got free of her captors.

She watched as the small goblin from earlier began to check through their horde of weapons, she spied her bag among the mess of iron and steel, she needed to get it back.

The Goblin Chief laughed and chortled, he enjoyed watching as the company struggled against the wave of goblins while awaiting their impending doom. He was looking forward to his torture machines arriving and was itching to get started; he paced impatiently up and down his podium, humming happily to himself. Braerka eyed him, discerning his weaknesses, not surprisingly there were many of them.

His stride was short; he limped about on his stubby legs. His weight made him clumsy and his overall demeanour made him all too easy a target. Now she just had to wait for the opportune moment strike, and figure out a way to obliterate the unending hordes of goblins that would inevitably come following his demise. Where was Gandalf when you needed him?