Chapter 11: Into the Wild

Dawn came faster that she expected it, her dreamless slumber passed instantaneously. Braerka jumped and tumbled off the bed when an unexpected voice woke her.

"What on earth are you still doing here?" asked the voice. Looking up she saw Gandalf, he was bearing over her with a questioning look. It took her several moments to get her bearing and she stood up, wearing the clothes she had fallen asleep in.

When she had been quiet for too long Gandalf pressed her again, "Ahem…why are you still here? The others left hours ago!" He told her. She suddenly remembered where she was and how she had got there. She groaned loudly at the wizard's persistence, couldn't he have found a less abrupt way to wake her up?

"Gandalf…" she grumbled still half asleep, but he stopped her.

"Goodness you're like a child! Hurry and get dressed you can still catch up to them if you move quickly!" He told as he tossed clothes at her from across the room.

She still wasn't fully awake and groggily grabbed the clothes and began to get dressed. All the while Gandalf was marching about her room filling her bag with lembas bread. At one point he left and returned shortly after with a water skin. Seeing she was still groggy he wetted his hand and splashed her face.

She glared at him angrily wiping the damp from her face. He then ushered her to hurry up and left her.

She then proceeded to dress herself properly, slipping on the brown leather jerkin over her shirt, and tying her belt tightly around her waist. She sheathed her daggers and sword, slipped on her jacket and equipped her new bow, she lifted the small bag that Gandalf had left, slung it over her shoulder and went to leave the room.

About half way down the corridor she ran back, retrieving the journal from under her pillow which she almost forgot.

Almost sprinting down the corridors she moved swiftly towards the east of Rivendell. It was still very early and few elves were awake. She reached the eastern exit and looked up along the edge; she studied the steep slopes into the wilds. She had thought long and hard last night about what she would do, and still hadn't decided.

She heard footsteps behind her and turned to see Gandalf and Lord Elrond descending the stairs.

"And where would you be going?" Elrond stood looking serious atop the flight of steps.

She thought for a moment, the only reason she was standing there was because Gandalf had woken her so tersely and she hadn't had the mental functioning to refuse. She turned looking to the wilds once more. "Into the wilds I guess" she said plainly bowing her head to him. He sniggered softly and descended the stairs and walked to her side.

Gandalf stood back watching closely, he nodded in reassurance when Elrond took one of her hand in his. "Good luck" she told her. "Do not look for trouble, for it will surely come to you! I hope you are doing the right thing"

"So do I…" she answered, as he let go of her hand.

Peeking behind him, she saw Gandalf had gone on his way back into Rivendell. She then looked back to Elrond, he smiled at her and she once again turned to face the cliff face.

Scanning the pathways, she contemplated what she was about to do. Was it really the right thing to do? She sighed, her choice to not kill Thorin was the choice that had probably secured his death. If anyone found him… she stopped the thought before it got too far. Deep down she knew this was something she had to do, whether Thorin wanted her there or not.

She smiled in anticipation of what was to come and began running up the side of the cliff after the dwarves. Things were now set in motion for the unfurling events of the future, nothing could be altered, she had made her choice, and the consequences would be hers to bear and hers alone.