Chapter Seven

"Why in the world did you think coming back here would be a good idea?" I accused after having swung the door open to reveal a remorseful Luke stood on my porch way.

"Kate, I wanted to apologise-"

"I think its best you leave," I said simply, refusing to meet his eye line.

"I know he isn't in Kate," he pushed. "I saw him leave this morning."

"And he could be back any minute, and I don't want you leaving here with another broken bone."

"I know it looked bad but-"

"No Ed. It was bad, and that's just confirmed by the bruise on your face," I motioned to his cheek, where a blend of yellow and purple warped along his already misshapen jaw line.

"I wasn't the one throwing the punches though," he defended as politely as possible, attempting to hide his irritation but failing as his face fell into a frown. "I just came over to see you and then that bastard started tormenting him."

"Ryan," I corrected. I agreed with his insult, but discarded it due to the desire burning in my bones to defend Luke. "You didn't exactly help by provoking him."

"What was I meant to say to him Kate?" he questioned rhetorically. "I'm wasn't going to sit there and let him walk over me. The guy lied to my face and told me you weren't in."

I rolled my eyes, gesturing for Ed to follow me into the house. He did so without question, closing the door behind him. "I just considered you to be too polite to kick off at him like that."

"I didn't get what his problem was, it's not like I'd done anything," he said as we entered the sitting room. "At least I don't think I did."

"Look, I get he isn't the easiest of people to converse with, but you didn't have to say what you did. In all honestly Ed you brought that punch upon yourself."

"I know I did," he admitted, taking a seat. "Then again, I figured I wasn't going to get away without a scratch, so I didn't think it mattered what I said."

"He was just trying to do what he thought was right," I defended once again, my case having very little substance but I uttered the words anyway. "I can barley tolerate him at the best of times, so I can see where you're coming from."

"I am sorry though Kate," he assured. "I should have just left when he asked. I stepped out of line by not leaving."

"You're the only friend I have around here Ed," I told him honestly. "I don't want to go losing that because Ryan can't deal with the fact you're around. He has no right."

"Who is this Ryan? Like how do you know him? If you don't mind me asking."

"He's the friend I've been staying with," I said, a bitter tone lacing my words. "But I'm pretty sure my presence isn't really welcome around here."

"He seemed pretty damn defensive for saying he's not really interesting in you," Ed commented.

I shrugged, "He's just looking out for me, he's on strict orders from my father to do so." I smiled, hiding the fact that this truly was the case and that my father was currently paying Luke to guard me.

"I'd offer him an apology but I don't think he'd take it the right way."

"I wish I could disagree but that's just who he is, likes to keep himself to himself and whatnot. But he did have a point yesterday," I began, reaching behind me to grasp the weapon Luke had attempted to hide from my view previously. I slid it across the coffee table between us, Ed's eyes widening in surprise as I did so. "I don't even want to know why you have it, but I suggest concealing it a bit more carefully next time."