Chapter Twenty-One

"So what information did you get on Legrenzi yesterday?" I asked falteringly as Luke took a seat opposite me, setting two plates onto the metal-embroidered table. The plates were stacked with an array of snack foods, my stomach uttering greedily at the sight. Luke looked somewhat displeased with my question as he sighed heavily, knowing that it wasn't his place to tell me. "Sorry, I shouldn't have asked."

"I'm really not supposed to be telling you anything, which ridiculous is considering that you're at the heart of this," he huffed, sliding a plate my way. "But it was some information on his whereabouts; he's been spotted in New York, presumably to ransack our- the apartment."

"Do you think that they'll find anything?"

"There's nothing to important that we left, I made sure that I took all of the files with us," he replied, pausing a moment as if going through a check list in his mind. "Plus we didn't know that we were coming here until we'd left and were on the road."

I simply nodded my head, my mind racing throughout vast lanes of fright and concern for what the future holds. Everything had been so on the move recently that I hadn't had chance to properly sit down and think through the situation that we were in. "Do you think that we're going to get out of this?"

"Adelaide," Luke sighed, his face dropping. "I'm going to do everything in my power to make sure that you get through this alive."

"What if that isn't the best option though?" My demeanour remained strong and confident, though I felt nothing of the sort.

"What do you mean? All of this is for your safety," he stressed, gesturing to the house with his hands.

"I know it is, but what I'm trying to say is, is this worth the effort? Everyone here is working around the clock to keep me safe, but for what? I mean you haven't even been home in what five or six months?"

"I haven't been home in a long time Adelaide," he admitted in a low tone, his voice quiet and humble while he fidgeted with his fingers restlessly. "Even before all of this had started."

I repeatedly attempted to open my mouth to say something, though nothing came out, no words being appropriate enough to formulate a response. "That doesn't matter though, what does is your safety."

"Why though?" I questioned sharply. "We can't just keep running, they'll find us eventually."

"I know we can't and I agree with you. But we don't know what they want you for, we can't just hand you over. I won't let them hand you over," he argued, grimacing.

"It might be for the best though-"

"Adelaide," Luke cursed, his temper wearing scarily thinner as the seconds passed. "We're not falling out over this okay?" His eyes cast back to the food in front of him, his head dropping as his fingers discarded a napkin. "What do you want to do this afternoon then?" His cheerful tone was back within an instant, a grin inflating his face.

I offered a smiled back, not daring to breech our previous conversation again. "I was actually thinking about having a go at driving?"

"Driving?" He inquired. "Driving where?"

"I mean like just in the driveway."

"You want to spend the afternoon driving around the driveway?" He remarked sarcastically, confused by my questionable request.

I sighed, placing my glass down after taking a sip of my water. "I haven't driven since the accident, so I want to give it a go. You know, see if I can stimulate any memories."