Chapter Forty-One

I sat with my legs cradled against my chest, my knees stained with the continuous stream of tears that fell from my eyes. It had gotten to the point in which I no longer had the energy to wipe them away, so instead I allowed them to tickle every inch of the skin along my cheeks, an area that alike the rest of my body had become indescribably numb.

It was the morning after having fled from the agonising sight of Luke breaking down before my very eyes, and I found myself huddled in the corner of my room, simply letting my thoughts bicker among themselves as I tried to process everything that I had discovered in the past twelve hours.

It wasn't clear what hurt most, the fact that the entirety of mine and Luke's relationship had been built upon lies, or that the only person that could fully relieve the agony I was under was also the one at the root of all of my problems.

My head rolled back on my neck, falling gently against the wall behind me as I surveyed my room. My eyes fought against the severity of the darkness in the area, searching for something to focus my attention on, to fill the void of disinterest with anything aside Luke in my mind.

My mind veered to the Legrenzi end of the spectrum in our current situation. My feelings of indescribable distaste toward the man forced my mind to rally through every piece of information surrounding him in search for a loop hole that we could target.

We needed to get him to pay for everything that he'd done. He deserved everything that came his way, and I wasn't going to stand by and let him walk over us, let him have the upper hand. That was not how this should have worked. We had the ability to bring him down, we just needed to give up on waiting around for his next move. We needed to be the ones making the next move. But Legrenzi was a man that always made sure any lose ends were seen to, meaning that the chances of finding a single lose threads were minimal, but that couldn't stop us using what we already had, or more so who we already had.

My knees straightened out, my body being pulled hastily from the floor as my mind came to the conclusion that I couldn't sit around impassively for any longer. So, after whipping my eyes with the sleeve of my wrinkled up jumper, I paced out of my room, throwing my legs heavily against the solid flooring of the stairs as I continued my pursuit.

I gave myself very little time to comprehend my actions, and it wasn't long until my fist was gripping firmly onto the door handle of my dad's office, my body pushing the wood forward a moment later, utterly void from hesitation.

"We need to work around that, he'll be sure to monitor-" my father halted any further words from falling through his lips at my abrupt entrance, his head snapping in my direction, an action that was replicated by the other ten or so men in the room. They sat hunched around the desk in the centre of the room, the wood unperceivable under the mass of paper scattered across the table.

My father was silent for a moment or two, scanning my appearance briefly as if trying to astatine my current mental state before he rose from his seat. "Adelaide? Is everything okay?" He requested hesitantly.

The tension between us was clear in the air that suffocated my lungs. Everyone in the room could feel the uneasiness between the two of us, and considering the fact we hadn't spoken properly for weeks following our previous exchange, or more so dispute, it wasn't surprising.

"I just needed to talk to you," I replied quietly, suddenly feeling uncomfortable under the intense, not so discrete, stares being directed my way.

"Well could it wait? We're going through something rather important right now."

My jaw clenched tightly, my agitation being evident as I edged my feet further into the room. "No. I don't think it can wait actually. This needs to be said now."