Chapter Eleven

Two coruscating cerulean eyes bore at mine; the unfamiliar lambency striking me, a sharp contrast to the previously morbid granite that inundated them. The skin framing the oculars was incandescent; a few deeper scars were the only intimation for the wounds that once consumed the area a distant memory, one that no one should have to revive. Auspicious smears of a light bronze complimented the agleam, chestnut locks that fell onto sinuous shoulders like velvety villus. Incandescing, the streaks of the autumnal aubade highlighted every intricate inch of the unblemished skin that framed the fuller, pink tinted cheeks that adorned infrequent freckles. One scar remained, nestled into the skin just below the hairline; a faded cerise tint that opposed to its previously astringent crimson.

Descending my eye line, I was greeted by an unrecognisable exterior, the collar bones that once extruded, now concealed by a healthy layer of corpulent and ravishing skin. The frail nature of limbs subsided to a healthier, fuller structure. Flicking my gaze back up to meet the beryl eyes, I sighed, disbelieving that the figure grinning back at me in the mirror was the same one I had unwillingly faced in a hospital room months ago. Elevating my left harm to my hip, I picked at the end of my shirt, raising it on one side to reveal my ribcage. Still prominent, was the indent tracing along my skin that I had discovered in the hospital, unlike my other scars, its colour and shape had not faltered. It remained strained across my ribcage, a dark russet blended with streaks of blue creating a plum undertone. Tracing my fingers softly over the disfigurement, a mild tenderness hit my nerves. Whilst inspecting the wound, my mind drifted to its cause, because although I had been brought to terms with what had happened at the time, the reasons behind my injuries had not been explained fully. Mu suspicions had been growing recently, with all the time I had spare to be alone with my uttering mind, I had no choice but to listen to its questions surrounding the scar on my rib.

Releasing the end of my shirt, previously gripped within my hand, I made my way downstairs toward the study, in hope of finding some answers. Scanning the room, my eyes searched for the one document that I knew would have every intricate detail ridden within the pages, my medical record.

After locating it not far from where I had previously found it, I made my way over and picked up the file. Tracing my palm over the front page, a deep sigh escaped my lips and I found myself wishing I could do the same with the knot tying its way into my stomach. However, before I even had chance to open the pack, the metallic ring of keys sounded beyond the door. Rushing, I placed the file in its original place and raced out of the office, slamming the door shut as I left.

"Adelaide?" Luke's voice rang through urgently as soon as he opened the door, his face appearing not long after, surprised to see me in the hallway. "You're okay?" He sighed, exasperated, voice full of relief.

"Yeah?" I responded, perplexed. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"I haven't heard from you at all in the past hour!" He explained, "You weren't replying to my texts." I stayed silent for a moment, before realising that I had in fact forgotten to text him along with leaving my phone upstairs.

"I'm sorry, I fell asleep and my phone was upstairs." I knew that lying would probably cause something to catch up with me in the future, but at this present moment in time it was better than revealing to Luke my suspicions around what actually happened in the car accident that caused me to end up in a coma. Luke merely nodded, taking his trench coat of before leaving to enter the office. "How was the meeting anyways?"

"It was okay, we didn't really get anywhere though, so I need to go through some stuffy now and try to figure out what they want with you." He said as he took a seat and leaned back into the office chair.

"Can I help you?"

"Adelaide, I really don't think that's the best idea. You aren't even meant to know what I've told you so far."