Chapter Nine

"Adelaide, you've got to trust me at some stage," Luke frowned, his eyes racking over the street below as he stood leaning against my window frame. "It was one time! Why can't you drop it?"

"Luke, you nearly burnt the building down," I laughed. "I'm not letting you anywhere near the kitchen again."

He sighed, "I was trying to carry out a compassionate gesture-"

"Only because you felt bad that I'd cooked all week," I reminded, watching his back muscles flex as he muffled his laughter.

"I could try something else? I made that pasta for us when we first got here and it wasn't all that bad."

"Are you forgetting that I didn't even touch that? I don't care if I somehow lose all my limbs and we're both dying of starvation, I'm not letting you cook again."

"Adelaide, it was one pancake," he argued in mock defence.

"My point exactly. You couldn't even handle that."

"You do realise this means you'll have to cook everything from now on?"

"Gives me something to do," I shrugged. "Better than another walk with that guy that has to sit and stare at me for a living."

"Hey the staring part is optional," he smirked, an amused glint flickering across his eyes.

During the previous two weeks, Luke had presented a side of himself that I had convinced myself I would never to see, but following his revelations, he began easing himself into showing much more of the light hearted side. He still had his moments, but those were expected when the two of us were forced to be around each other every day.

Luke held this aura around him, one that he had shielded behind his cold stares and dismissive comments. His lips would source a witty comment from out of nowhere and pull my own into a smile before I had even realised that I needed one. He had the ability to know what I was thinking before the words had even accumulated in my mind and saw through my lies before I had even considered reeling one of my tongue.

Luke had also managed to refrain from making any comments at Ed in the times that he had visited the house and resorted to isolating himself in his office to avoid his eyes rolling any further into his skull at any of Ed's comments. It was comforting that Luke gave me space, but I knew he wasn't any more than a beckoning away. He respected what I needed, and I couldn't have been more grateful. He knew that sympathy was something far from what I required, but he didn't hesitate to mention the elephant in the room if I wasn't having a good day.

"Do you miss them?" Luke's voice broke my attention away from my thoughts.

"Miss who?"

"Your family, friends, and the people you knew before," he said, moving over to perch his body onto the end of my bed.

"How can I miss something that I technically never had?" I replied honestly. "Those are just people that came to visit me in the hospital, I have no recollection of them, so it's pretty hard for me to sit here and say that I do wish for their company again."

"What about your parents though?"

"To be honest Luke, I really don't know. They haven't provided me with the best confidence since I woke up, been as they're both refusing to tell me why the hell I am here, and well, my father is just devoting every second of time he has into his work."

"He's only doing it to keep you safe," Luke reminded gently.

"It'd mean a whole lot more if I knew what I needed to be safe from," I mumbled. "It's just frustrating."