Chapter Eight

The pounding gun shots were all that I could hear in the chaos of the air, the sound penetrating through my ears and adding to the excruciating pain radiating my nerves. Waling my hands around on the blood drenched concrete, I felt around trying to understand more of my surroundings. It was beyond pitch black, so much so that I couldn't confirm if my eyes were open or closed. Most of the feeling in my body had gone, meaning I struggled moving and pinpointing which part of my body was where, the agony cursing through my interior being too much to comprehend.

"Adds!" It was the same voice I had heard earlier, their desperation being palpable throughout the atmosphere. Any words in my throat were detained, my vocal cords remaining mute as I begged for the ability to scream back and locate the source of the shriek.

"Adds! Where are you?" The voice appeared to be getting closer, though the lack of volume along with the effort I was forced to exert in order to hear their screech proved that they were still some distance away.

By this point, I had begun to realise that I was lying on my back, my legs still being unobtainable to make contact with. The stone cobbles of the concrete floor beneath me chilled my rigid body, adding to the excruciating throbbing in a place in every place possible.

Gun shots were heard again, but this time, the slicing sound of the bullet didn't come alone. Instead, the little protection I had from the threatening outside word, shook against my body. What sounded like a metal crate beside me, shielded my body from the bullet that I was certain had been aimed at me.

"Adds!" The voice never stopped, their words tumbling from their mouth in a bid to escape the fear encased shell they had come from. I went to shout back, my voice becoming partially reachable, but was stopped abruptly by the spine tingling roar of another bullet, this time edging closure toward my crumpled body.

Raising my head slightly, the pure torture thrived through my bloodstream. I shuffled my body sideways slightly, the feelings in my legs still not present, but I had barely made it a metre when the agony spiked too high to continue.

"Adelaide!" The persistent screaming was met with my tears, us both being in such close proximity yet not being able to locate each other. The desperation was met with my despondency as I lay silently, stilling under another shake of a bullet. However, this time it was further away and I knew it was my chance to move. "Adds! Where are you?"

My vocal cords opened up once again, a scream hollering its way from my throat, silencing the area. My torture was evident in my voice and it surely put me at great vulnerability against the enemies currently hunting me down. The scream continued to pour its way into the air around me, my body slowly shifting to move behind what appeared to be another crate, my back being forcefully swung to lean against the stone cold side.

Having used all of what little strength I had left, I found myself nestled in a miniscule gap between an unrecognisable building and the crate, shielding myself from anyone's view and the bullets flying throughout the night.

"Adds! I'm coming to find you! I'm going to find you!" The voice was consumed with a heavy amount of determination , but as I lay slumped against the wall with blood dispersing from uncountable areas of my body, my head dropped low under the weight of my agony, concluding that I wouldn't be able to take it any longer. My breathing slowed considerably from its previously extortionate rate, and I could do little to relieve the fear of what was coming. I knew I wouldn't be found alive.

I knew I was dying.

Pools of sweat collected relentlessly in my palms, my limbs being quick to discard any evidence of my uneasiness to Luke, who stood with his back leaning against the countertop on the other side of the kitchen. He hadn't said a word since he had entered the room, extending his silence from the previous night further.