Chapter Twenty-Six

"You know what I'm going to say to you," Luke mocked as we made our way back through the house.

"I do, but what's the betting that you tell me anyway?" I retorted.

"You know me too well," he replied, flicking his head back to send me a lopsided grin. "You should also know that you shouldn't be running; your rib needs to heal Adelaide."

"I've been fine in training," I argued.

"Training is different; it's less intense than running. On the subject of training, we've got a session tomorrow morning."

I nodded, attempting to reply but stilled my words upon noticing Luke stopping to greet Blake, who I had yet to have seen in the house before. They conversed between one another for a moment or two as I stood awkwardly aside Luke.

"Is Michael out back?" Blake questioned, throwing his hand toward where we had just come from.

"Yeah," Luke laughed. "I'd leave him for a minute or two though; I just gave him an earful about Adelaide." At the mention of my name, Luke brushed his fingers tenderly against mine as he hung his arm idly, before clasping my hand within his own.

"I don't know what's worse, you or the boss on that front," he responded, a small laugh leaving his lips in the process.

"Good point," Luke commented. "Oh hey, how'd the trip go?"

"Not going to lie, we could have done with you there," Blake admitted in reply. "We struggled getting anywhere near Legrenzi's place, never mind inside. We can't even be sure that he was in there."

"So what did you get?"

"Bits and pieces on the security and house layout, but nothing that you couldn't have told us about," he explained, shoulders drooping as if mimicking the evident defeat they had come under. "I filed a report anyway, it's on your desk."

"My desk?" Luke questioned in surprise.

"Yeah," he confirmed. "Boss didn't see the point in him having it, been as you know the place more than any of us. Speaking of, how'd your chat with him go?"

"Well he's pretty pissed at me, as you can imagine but there's not a lot that he can do," Luke admitted. "I mean you saw how it ended the last time he fired me so I doubt that he'd even attempt to do it again."

"You practically run that guy," Blake commented.

"How else d'you think I'd be getting away with this?" Luke smirked before smiling innocently my way, though had it not been for the fact he motioned to our hands, I wouldn't have understood what he was talking about. "Which he also advised that I back off on, but that's not going to happen any time soon. You can't blame me though, I mean just look at her." The tone of his voice along with the cheeky grin lacing his face was an indication toward the fact that what he had just said was a joke, though the way he subconsciously tightened his grip around my hand told me something completely different.

"I'd say that I can defiantly understand that but you'd probably punch me," Blake laughed as he turned to leave, signalling toward the end of the corridor, "Anyway, I should get on, I'll see you around mate, you too Adelaide."

He disappeared around the end of the hallway, Luke dragging me along as soon as he was out of eyesight. "Com' on, we need to head to my office, I've got some stuff that I want to sort through with you."

My back fell heavily against the smooth leather that varnished the seat in the centre of the office we had found ourselves in. I flung my legs upon to one armrest while my head dropped lazily onto the other, leaning back enough to catch sight of Luke while he shuffled through one of the many stacks of papers on his desk.