Chapter 5

CHAPTER 5

The streets were an empty void consisting of nothing but the strong and plentiful snow tumbling down from the sky with great speed. I walked along with my coat hugged tightly to my body as I shivered in the cold, just counting the seconds until I was finally home in my warm bed. It had been a long day, and my headache had returned. I was about to break into a jog to quicken my route when I heard someone call my name.

"Rose! Hey Rose, wait up!"

Who the hell was that? I spun around to uncover the mystery and found a very attractive James in front of me. He was pretty tall, probably close to six feet with neat dirty-blonde hair and sea blue eyes. He also had a nice build, buff but not too beefy, being probably about 24 years old.

"Oh, hi James. What are you doing here?" I wondered.

"I walk this way to catch the train home. What about you?"

"My house is only a few blocks from away, I usually walk this way too."

"Oh cool. We should walk together from now on," he said while shooting me a cute smile. James always seemed a little awkward around me, but it was cute.

"Yeah, I'd like that," I said as we started walking towards my house. We were close enough so that our shoulders brushed every now and then. Due to his earlier stares, I was expecting him to question me about my chat with Harry, but fortunately he didn't.

"So, you just started working at Wickendale and Ms. Hellman already seems to like you," James said. "I didn't think she had the capability of liking anyone."

"Hey, don't sound so surprised. I happen to be a very likable person."

James chuckled, and it was one of the best laughs I've ever heard.

"What makes you think she likes me anyway?" I wondered.

"I don't know," he said, breath forming a transparent white path against the cool air.  "Maybe she doesn't like you, maybe she just hates you a little less than she hates the rest of us."

"Should I take that as a compliment?" I wondered.

"Yeah, that's supposed to be a compliment," he laughed.

The conversation was all smiles and giggles, and it made me decide I really liked James. He was endearing and nice.

The thin cool air and the icy snowflakes were settling on my skin, making me shiver under the dark sky.

"You cold?" He asked.

"No, I'm fine." I lied.

"Here, here, take my jacket." He offered, already stripping himself of the clothing.

"But then you'll be cold!" I protested.

"Nah, I can handle it." He was already draping the warm garment over my shoulders. I gave in for a little while, letting myself get warmed up in his nice smelling clothes. But then he shivered too, and I felt guilty.

"Here," I said and stretched his coat so it fit around both of our shoulders, bringing us close together. It was warmer that way. After we walked in silence for a while, not awkward silence but a calming quiet, James spoke up.

"Well, the station's right up here. I guess this is where we part ways," he grinned.

"Alright, I'll see you later. Oh, but here's your jacket-"

"No, keep it. Just bring it to work tomorrow, I'll be fine for the rest of the way home."

I looked at him for a second, contemplating whether or not I should argue with him further on the whereabouts of his coat for the rest of the night. But I decided against it.