Chapter 29

A.N. SO SORRY BUT THIS CHAPTER IS A FILLER KINDA LIKE LAST CHAPTER SO ITS NOT AS EXCITING OR LONG BUT ILL TRY MY VERY BEST TO UPDATE SOONER THAN IN A WEEK :) ALSO PLEASE STOP SAYING I COPIED OF AHS, THATS WHAT THIS FANFIC IS BASED ON AND I ALREADY KNOW THAT, SO IM SORTA TIRED OF HEARING IT OVER AND OVER PLEASE JUST TRY TO ENJOY THE STORY :) ALSO AGAIN THANK YOU FOR 10MILLIONS READS THATS AWESOME I LOVE YOU GUYS SOOO MUCH YOU HAVE NO IDEA THANK YOU ILY

CHAPTER 29

MS. HELLMAN'S POV

I had experienced many hardships throughout my life, some of which were more difficult than others. Anything from losing a puppy at eight to being robbed at nineteen. But nothing, nothing is worse than the feeling you get when you see your only son lying battered and bruised, almost unrecognizable, in a puddle of his own blood. I had Rosemary rush him to the hospital straight away, but I had yet to visit him until now. While trying to block out the sudden panic and demanding question of whether or not he was alive, I had to run my institution. And work on running it better, for that matter, to ensure nothing like this ever happens again. I had to rid of any mischief that might thwart the order and upkeep of Wickendale. It seems I would have to run this place as more of a prison than a mental facility from now on; they were criminals, after all.

But, for once, this wasn't about Wickendale. This was about my boy. My beautiful, problematic baby boy. He was all but twenty-one, for his age he was very smart, and despite everything I was proud of him. And that monster, that Harry had beaten him nearly to death. So of course I had to do something about it. Something to get him and his little girlfriend out of my hair for a while, something that could hopefully stop them from trying to do whatever it was they were trying to do. I think the electroshock therapy did the trick. I can still remember the glorious moment when shock and pain flashed through that boys eyes, when Rose screamed and cried from the other side of the door. That moment gave me power, it reminded me that no matter what I did, I was in control. They were simply pieces in the game.

And I would like to say that Harry deserved it. I would like to think he had been the one to skin those women, but deep down and although rarely admitted, I knew that wasn't the case. James had always been different, and I had always covered for him and lied for him while he went about his activities. He never explained what the "activities" were, but somehow underlying the denial, I knew it was true. But I hid that intuition and locked up the thought, overlying it with complete confidence that my son was a good kid. I refused to believe what I knew was the truth for my son's sake and my own.

A slight noise, a stirring from the hospital bed snapped me out of my thoughts. The bed was at the far wall, a small desk at the other. There was a cupboard full of medical supplies sat off to the left as well as an IV. James lied under a white sheet before me while I was sat in a plastic waiting chair. He had a brace along his neck, a bandage across his shattered nose, an ice pack strapped to his head that had to be changed regularly, a cut up lip, and atrociously swollen eye. There were also many other bandages on his skin and pain-decreasing meds in his bloodstream, but he seemed to be conscious. "James," I said. His head lulled to the side as he hummed in acknowledgement. "Can you hear me?"

"Yes," he croaked. He probably hasn't had water. "James, what you did yesterday was completely uncalled for. How could you be such an idiot?"

He didn't seemed surprised or curious as to what I was talking about. No confusion. "I knew . . ." he whisperingly spoke, but then stopped to take in a breath. "I knew you would do it." By this time I knew exactly what he meant. He had wanted Harry to beat him so that he could be punished. I wasn't exactly sure of his reasoning, though, and I didn't want to ask.

"Listen, James. I'm almost as happy to put Harry under punishment as you are. But what ever you're planning, you're not to harm the patients. Don't involve my institution in you activities anymore. It's too risky and I'm barely keeping this place together as is."