Chapter 38

A.N. HII GUYS SORRY ABOUT MY LATE UPDATING THANKS FOR BEING PATIENT WITH ME ILY. ALSO IM NOT SURE WHY BUT THIS FANFIC HAS BEEN GETTING A LOT LESS COMMENTS/VOTES LATELY AND IT MAKES ME SAD SO PLEASE COMMENT THE HELL OUT OF THIS CHAPTER AND VOTEEE :D ALSO FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER @/watermelonat THANK YOU SO MUCH I LOVE YOU

CHAPTER 38

HARRY'S POV

I did not know exactly what Jane was to me. A friend? An ally? Just another patient? No, definitely not the third option. The patients here were nothing to me, and she was at least more than that. She was someone. She was a strange, quiet woman with lots of problems. She was interesting, she was nice. She had a son.

But the fact that he existed was all we knew about him. Maybe that boy was young, maybe old. Maybe he cared about his mom and maybe he didn't. But now that son no longer had a mother. He could no longer yearn for the day of his her release, he could no longer feel inclined to visit, he could no longer contact a woman who was no longer there. And for some reason, I felt a hell of a lot of guilt for it.

"It's my fault." The words came out quiet, but Rose had heard. Instinctively she rested her hand over mine in comfort. "No it's not, you didn't-"

"Yes, yes it is," I interrupted. "When I went to tell Ms. Hellman to switch your guard, she asked why I wanted the guards switched." Rose's puzzled, anticipating expression urged me to continue. "So I told her about Jane." My eyes looked into my lap, not wanting to meet any of theirs.

"What?" Mikayla asked.

"Yeah, I told her that Kevin shouldn't be Rose's guard since he raped Jane. And I don't know why, but that's what made Ms. Hellman have her go into surgery."

"That doesn't make sense," Rose countered. "Why would she do that?"

"Who knows," I shrugged. "It's Ms. Hellman. She might've done it just to spite us. Or maybe she didn't want Jane talking, she didn't want any evidence that her guards were raping women. Bottom line; if I wouldn't have said anything, Jane would be here right now."

"You had no idea that Ms. Hellman was going to do that. You were only trying to protect me, Harry. You did the right thing." Rose's words eased some of the dread from my shoulders and I nodded for her sake, although I didn't fully believe it myself. "Plus," Rose continued, "We don't even know for sure that she's dead." But her voice didn't sound confident.

"Wait, dead?!" Mikayla asked a little too loudly, and for a moment I had forgotten she was still here. But she was ignored.

"She's been missing for two days, where else could she be?" I asked.

"Maybe she's still in that room," Rose said. "Maybe she's alive."

I took in a heavy breath. "No, Rose, I don't think so." She had a certain hope and trust in the good of people that I admired, but sometimes it could leave her disappointed. She just didn't know any better, where as I was skeptically aware of the evil that could lurk under human skin. They had no trouble in eliminating Cynthia Porter from existence, and I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem doing the same to Jane.

"Do you think they did it because they know we're trying to escape?" Rose whispered. Her deep eyes were afraid as they searched mine for refuge. And I so desperately wanted to be that for her, to be what she needed. I could protect her if it weren't for the damned bars that separated us each night.

But, "I don't think so," was the best I could do to reassure her, for now. "They probably don't want the sanest people here teaming up, that's all. I don't think they know what we're up to, though."

She nodded and breathed a sigh of relief. But her shoulders slumped and she sort of sat back into herself as if something were bothering her.

"What?" I asked.