Chapter 39

A.N. HIII ALL IM GONNA SAY FOR THIS CHAPTER IS PLEASE VOTE, COMMENT, AND SHARE THE STORY IT WOULD MEAN A LOT :D THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING UP TO THIS POINT ILY (AND BY THE WAY I FINALLY DECIDED THAT ROSE AND HARRY'S SHIP NAME IS RORRY I KNOW IT TOOK ME 38 CHAPTERS TO DECIDE THAT BUT YEAH ITS OFFICIALLY RORRY)
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER @/watermelonat :)

CHAPTER 39

This was Wickendale, a mental institution for the criminally insane. And insane was exactly what this woman was. This raggedy, haggard looking girl was simply crazed. She did not know right from wrong. She was confused. Her uniform and place here served as proof that she was untrustworthy. It was hard to believe any of the words that escaped her lips. And knowing Harry so well should give me a fully instilled confidence that her accusations were false. Whatever he did that was so horrible had probably just been made up in the woman's disturbed mind.

But why then, when she pointed that bony finger, did I feel a slight drop in the pit of my stomach? Why did my chest rise and fall with sharp breaths and why did my heart beat a little faster?

I knew Harry and loved Harry. I trusted him. And I wanted to dismiss the girl's words as a lie. I wanted to just nod and walk away. I didn't want to believe her, but something like curiosity lingered deep and prevented me from doing so.

"What did he do?" I asked. My tone lowered so that we weren't overheard.

The woman's dark hair fell around her face in greasy, tangled strands as she shook her head. "Something horrible. I'm not supposed to say. Just stay away from him."

"I'm not staying away unless you tell me." I would not accept her reply and walk away. I was so tired of being excluded from the secrets hidden in Wickendale's walls, and I didn't have time to wait around for answers.

She took a shaky breath into her lungs and I saw the deep blue stirring in her eyes. Her lips parted as if she were about to speak to me, and my heart leapt with anticipation of the divulging truth soon to follow. But her thoughts and speech were halted, and the only movement was in her eyes. They grew wide in fear of something over my left shoulder. I followed her gaze and jumped, Harry's body directly next to mine. And the woman scurried away.

I looked up at Harry's face with a pulsing heart, drumming wildly in my chest with my previous scare. And it was that second, just before the patient left and just before his eyes looked to mine that I saw it. He had been looking at her. His eyes were on her face and I caught hardly a glimpse of it, but it was there; a warning. A threat of some sort. As if with only his gaze he was telling her to back away, and in that fraction of a second he was the old Harry. He was the mask that he wore when I was still a nurse and he was still a patient, so many months ago in that cafeteria. He was that menacing criminal of horrendous felonies, trailing his hand along my thigh underneath the table. And as I was afraid of him then, I was afraid of him now for the infinity his eyes held in that small second.

But then his eyes grew bright again, turning to my face instead. Back to normal in a flash. "Hey," he greeted. "Who was that?" And it was there again underlying his tone. Barely existent, but I knew him well enough to recognize it. He was slightly on edge although he tried to hide it.

"Why don't you tell me," I said. I didn't mean for my voice to be cutting, but just the thought of him doing something monstrous like the woman had said, true or not, made me slightly defensive.

"What do you mean?" he asked, slightly taken back but not as taken back as he should've been.

"She was afraid of you. Like, really afraid."

He shrugged. "She thinks I skinned three women, of course she's afraid."

"Not that," I said, shaking my head. "She made it sound like it was because of something you did when you were here the first time. Something from when you were a kid."