Chapter 34

THIS CHAPTER PROBABLY SUCKS SORRRRRRRY I HAD AN INSANE AMMOUNY OF HOMEWORK THIS WEEK. AND I KNOW IVE PROMISED THIS BEFORE BUT I HAVE NO SCHOOL TUESDAY AND HALF DAYS WEDNESDAY/THURSDAY SO I WILL TRY AND DO 2 UPDATES NEXT WEEK :D PLEASE VOTE AND COMMENT THANKS ILYSM

CHAPTER 34

There are many different types of fear. Most fears are selfish. Like the paralyzingly horror of your own death, the strange ominousness of being alone at night. We're often afraid of the pain inflicted on our own emotions and our own bodies. Sometimes it's impossible not to be afraid.

But even worse than this was the fear for others. It's when you love somebody more than you love yourself that their danger frightens you. And I have endured this fear more than once. I have been afraid and still am afraid for Harry whenever he finds himself in any kind of trouble, which he seems to do a lot. The day I heard his muffled scream in the electroshock therapy room, I experienced a fear greater than what I thought possible.

So when Norman approached me, where I would previously have been scared out of my mind, I was not afraid.

His uniform was larger than that of the average patient to fill the need of his overpowering body. He wore a sickening smile and his teeth were caked with dark decay. His bald head and obvious age made his approach even more terrifying. The snake tattoo only added to the displeasure of his features, rendering him the most disturbing man I had ever encountered.

The pace of my already fast beating heart quickened when he got within a few yards. Okay, maybe I was afraid, just not nearly as much as I should be. But I would stand my ground. He couldn't do anything drastic to me here, with dozens of bodies around to witness.

Norman slid into the chair beside me, and I tried not to puke on the spot. My nerves and the smell of his awful breath didn't help, either.

His voice was dark. Even deeper than Harry's. "Remember me, Rosie?"

I couldn't help the shiver that involuntarily dragged itself up my spine. There was no answer to give, so I gave none.

"I had dreams about you, you know," he said, waisting no time. "There's not much to do while you're in a coma but dream. And you were in all of mine. That last memory I had. Me touching you in the dark right before your little boyfriend had to ruin the fun."

"You lay a finger on me and he'll do it again," I said, hoping that I sounded less worried than I felt. Norman's speech was odd and choppy. It didn't flow well, and it was evident in his countenance that something was not right in his mind. But he seemed to understand my answer.

And he didn't seem to like it. Maybe it was the memories of his head smashing into the wall or maybe something else, but he began to furiously shake his head. "No, no, no, no, no." His teeth were gritted and his hands clenched into fists. "He's not." The expression he wore seemed angry, like some pestering, unwanted thought was nagging at his mind. And as if I were that thought he stood from his seat in frustration, and I sighed with relief. That had gone much more quickly and much easier than I expected. He walked somewhere off behind me and took my worries along with him.

But I had a habit of thinking too soon. Apparently his destination behind me had been directly behind me. That twisted mouth of his was so close to my ear that I jumped when he harshly whispered. "No. I'm going to make sure that he isn't there, and I'm going to finish what I started."

HARRY'S POV

The night was dark. Quiet. It was not silent, but there was no distinct sound. In the absence of light my eyes could only make out abstract shapes, but although unseen the shapes were familiar, so I wasn't worried. My body was lying atop a cushioned mattress. I was alone but comfortable in the loneliness, the dark of the room engulfing me into a hazy sleep. I wasn't sure where I was but it didn't seem to matter. Nothing seemed to matter, and every muscle in my body was relaxed with that knowledge. I was safe.