Chapter 25

A.N. HII EVERYONE SO SOMETHING HAPPENED WITH THE PSYCHOTIC INSTAGRAM AND WE CANT GET INTO IT SO WE CREATED A NEW INSTAGRAM ACCOUNT @/psychoticofficial SO PLEASE GO FOLLOW THAT INSTEAD :) THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH ILY

CHAPTER 25

One week. It had been exactly one week since Ms. Hellman had taken away my label of sanity and thrown me into the corners of a dark cell in which I did not belong. I was now considered mentally unstable to those who didn't know any better. And hey, maybe I was. But sure as hell not enough to be locked up here. This place was even more awful when you were on the inside. What was most infuriating about this was the fact that I wasn't even in here for a reason. I hadn't done one thing that proved me to be either dangerous or crazy. But I was here anyway. And if I were to shout things like, "I'm not crazy!" it would just make me seem even more so. Any visitors or reporters wouldn't think twice about my sanity. I was in quick sand, any way I move just sinking me further. The only way out was by help of Kelsey or Lori, but they might be too afraid of falling in themselves. Either way, the word escape was the only thought that kept replaying in my mind.

Just trying to come up with an escape plan was difficult, though. The security was tight and we were constantly accompanied by a guard wherever we went. There's no way of doing anything even remotely suspicious without being caught; I had learned that the hard way, when it had ended in seeing Harry's bloodied, ripped skin. So for now we were stuck here until either of us thought of something useful. Stuck here eating awful food and sleeping in springy beds and sitting with psychopaths.

But like in every situation, there was a bright side; and in this one it was Harry. It wasn't even the fact that I was with him, but it was the fact that he was no longer alone. There were now two rational people here who had been wrongly accused. We could talk and play clue and find a way out with each other. He had me and I had him. Even if being trapped in this place ate our minds alive, then at least we would be driven mad together. Neither of us would have to go through this alone.

And eventually, the both of us would escape. We had to. I had promised Harry time and time again that we would. That was the only way I could bear this, if I told myself it wouldn't last; if I hoped that we would find a way out. And I had to keep hoping, because hope was all I had left.

On the outside I didn't have much, either. Just myself and the things in my apartment. But at least I had freedom and choices and opportunities. Here I didn't have any of that. What I did have, though, was a much clearer understanding of Wickendale. Instead of it being just my workplace, it was now my home. And spending a week here had opened my eyes to a lot of things I usually wouldn't notice. Now, when I went to one of the daily activities set up for patients to "get better," I passed by the lobby. Going in through the side door as an employee I didn't see this room much. But now, noticing it each day, I thought about it a lot. There were children, mothers, and fathers alike waiting to be treated. Their sanity was slipping away and they actually wanted admittance for either themselves or their loved ones. I wished so badly that I could tell them that this wasn't the place that they thought it was. Either that or beg them to help me out of here. But again, begging to be released would only hurt me rather than help me. Those people would probably look at me as if they were scared and wait for a guard to take me away. It's a funny thing, really, how much the label of insanity can change things. When people saw me pass by the archway between the lobby and the rest of the institution, fear stormed through their eyes and they looked away as if afraid to meet my gaze. They weren't even aware of what I was in here for, but they assumed that I was insane and that scared them. If only they knew . . .

I had also noticed that there were way more doctors and psychologists crawling around this place than I thought. Usually I would get to work, do my job, and then leave without talking to many people outside of Kelsey, Lori, and Harry. But being here for a total of 168 hours so far, I had seen many more people in white coats and nice suits. Going down hallways I normally wouldn't, I saw many people I hadn't priorly interacted with. There seemed to be a therapist and doctor/nurse for every hallway and it was just that I hadn't been down down most of them. Not to mention the many employees in Ward C.