The First Shift

SNAP

I whimper as my bones break and realign themselves.

"She's only six, she shouldn't be shifting till she is sixteen."
It was my mother, her voice laced with fear and worried.

SNAP

I cry out, my voice mixing with a howl.

"It just means our little Amber will be nated to an alpha." My father said with pride as he reassured my mom that everything would be alright.

SNAP

My body contorted with pain as I shifted to all fours, my body changing from human to wolf, the pain unbearable.

Tears were streaming down my face as my jaw became longer and fur covered my skin.

SNAP

GROWL

SNAP

WHIMPER

SNAP

I layed on the floor panting after what felt like eternity of pain, my body feeling awkward in my wolf form.

"Honey, are you okay?" My mom's worried voice carries from across the room from where I was hiding.

I whimpered slightly and stood up on shaky legs, taking three tries till I managed to find the right balance.
It was clear my parents were giving me space to learn about my second body, letting me test my weight.

After a few minutes of walking in a small circle, I take a deep breath and slowly walk from behind the kitchen island.

My parents gasped and I stared at their faces, their eyes wide with awe as they watched my movements.

"Amberle, you're beautiful. Maxwell, grab the full mirror from the hall way for our daughter to see herself."
I stared at her with a puzzled look as my father went and did what he was told.

After a few minutes, he returned and my mother blocked my eyes while he set it up behind her.

"Tah-dah!" My mother moved out of the way and I faced my reflection.
I was a fluffy puff ball of fur in my pup form, but my fur looked like fire, and when I moved, it looked like flames were dancing.

I was beautiful and I knew it, even if I was six.

For a while I just stared at myself, moving my tail and paws to watch my fur, my whole being facinated me.
Hours passed and my parents left me to watch my reflection as I sat quietly in the kitchen floor.

"We're home!" My sister calls as she and my brother slam the front door closed.

School was over for the day apparently, and their foot steps could be heard.

"How is Amber d-" My brother stoped his question as he stares at me, my tail wagging with happiness to see my siblings.

Both had shifted early, Zack at age ten and Mia at age eight. Zack was now fourteen and Mia was ten and had a few years of experience over me.

"Is that?" Mia asked in awe, her eyes staying on me.

"Yes, apparently the fever she had this morning was her starting to shift." My father said, taking the mirror away from me.

I whimpered in protest, bitting the cuff of his pants gently and giving him puppy dog eyes.

"Sorry but the mirror needs to go back and you sat there for four hours doing nothing. You need to eat." I whimpered again as I moved to keep staring at myself, my siblings gasping as they watched my fur move like fire.

Their wolves were dull compared to mine.

Zack was a beige wolf with a white spot over his left eye and Mia was a soft russet with black tipped paws.
Even my parents were dull colours.

I was unique.

Different.

And I was determined to stay that way.