The Accident

For the next few years our parents took us on hunts, which was so much fun.

We were lucky that a farm was near where we lived so on moonless nights each month my parents would tell us to shift, then we would take the trail we always did right to the back of the farm where the cattle was.

Calfs bleated and ran around, too restless to sleep, where as their mothers slept peacefully. Our target was the babies.

I was first to go since I destracted the creaturs with my fur, my wolf body slowly maturing into a delinquent, a teenage wolf.

I was nine now and our hunting strategy was that I destracted, the rest killed.

With in thirty minuts we had five calfs and were on out way home with the deed done, the farmer would be pissed but who cares.

We stoped at the butching hut, a cold concreate hut my father had built so that he could cut the meat and sell a portion to the pack.

Slowly we placed the dead calfs on the metal square just outside the door and left my father to work while my mother, brother, sister and I went out to the forest, killing a few wild turkeys and a dear.

We repeated the process of putting them on another metal square and left to go into the house, taking a shower and relaxing.

It was a long weekend here in Ontario due to family day being tomorrow so my siblings and I got to stay up late and watch movies with a ton of ice cream, candy and chips. This was the only time we got to do this since Zack was in college and Mia was in highschool, so our parents didn't have to worry about them, but because I was still in grade school I got treated like a kid.

I hated it.

◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆

"Well who wants my famous home made burgers tomorrow?"
My dad asked as he waltz into the room. He was carying a cooler box with what I assumed to be meat for burgers, perking my siblings and I right up.

"Do we really need to answer that dad?" Zack asked and Mia and I both nodded in agreement.

The night went on about what else we would have with the burgers while our parents went up stairs for some reason.

In the end I was curled up between my brother and sister fast asleep.

◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆

"DADDY can we go for a run now?" I asked impatienly, hopping from one foot to the other.

Our dinner had been finished hours ago and now it was time for the anual family day run.

I was excited.

I loved being in wolf form and running in the night as my fur moved like flames in the wind.

My siblings had already shifted, tired of waiting and I was about to shift to.

"Yes we can." That was all I needed to hear before I ran around behind a bush and shifted. I whimpered from the pain and the bones cracking and realigning themselves till I was on all fours.

It had only taken three minutes for me to shift and join my siblings but it felt like hours with all the pain.

Finally we were all shifted and running through the forest. We were going to meet up with other members of the pack that had kids between my age to Zack's age and have a moon light party with the pack, our extended family.