Stage 34: Trip Back to Square One

It's been a few days of me healing and the others arguing about what we should do next. Zach says we should go back to the Pearl to take Stina along, while Manda retorts, saying that Stina hurt me in the first place. Mura wants to just travel far into the woods, maybe return to the Muses. Jett, surprisingly, wants to go back to the Pearl, but not to bring back Stina. He wants to confront the Creator, and get answers to the questions he'd been holding back.

I, for one, don't care.

"Kei."

I feel someone's soft breaths on my ear, making me shiver despite the humid temperature. I tilt my head to face him, and cock my eyebrow in question.

"We're leaving. Come on," Zach says, holding out his hand. I look at it questioningly.

"I'm not leaving them," I hiss. "You go."

"Please. We'll be back before they wake up, I promise. I just want to get Stina at least; I know she did this to you but she's a good person. She didn't want to kill you, unlike Lyn. I've known her for my whole life-"

"You can't have known her for your whole life; she's born after you," I mumble as I grudgingly grab his hand. He hoists me up with a grunt, impressive considering I had been trying to pull him down. As a healing patient, I feel that I should deserve more rest. I throw him a nasty look, then lead the way west from our campsite.

"Other way," Zach whispers with a cocky smirk. I roll my eyes and follow him, cursing myself for always being so naïve around Zach, and letting him control my every action. I could've kept on sleeping and refused his offer.

"Want me to carry you?"

"Actually yeah." I hop onto Zach's back, which emanates warmth. Although it's still hot out, I feel comfortable. "I'm gonna take a nap."

"Oka-"

"Shut up! I said that I'm sleeping." I hear Zach softly chuckle, and feel it make his shoulders shake slightly. He shifts his hands under my knees to better his grip.

"Stop, that tickles."

"What?"

"I said-"

Suddenly, he swiftly moves his hands, faster than before. I hold in a shriek as to not wake the others.

"Oh my god!" I whisper angrily. "What the hell!"

I bang my fist on his back, but he only laughs. "Whatever, I'm sleeping. Don't disturb me until we get there, or I will hurt you."

"Alright alright; I'm done." I could practically hear him smirk, that cocky asshole.

I finally fall asleep, with wind kissing my face and the rustle of leaves whispering in my ears.

++++++++++

I feel sun beating down on my face, but I'm not ready to open my eyes. I suddenly feel something soft on my cheek; what was it? I immediately open my eyes, surprised to see Zach centimeters away from me.

"G-good morning," he stutters. He backs up and gestures to a metallic gray wall. "Remember this?"

Memories of Jett, Manda, and I walking out of that plane all those years ago hit me, and I nearly start tearing up like the hormonal teenager I am.

"Be quiet, soft footsteps, and never let go of my hand," Zach commands. I roll my eyes, but keep his words in mind. I wouldn't quite like ending back in square one, memories lost and me a useless, naïve corpse. This time, I want to walk through those doors with success at my fingertips, and walk out to a better world.

One that I'd be proud to bring back.