Chapter 26

--- 26 ---

*Arianna Lancaster*

I literally felt myself sinking in Chase’s exotic teal-gray when he looked up at me as I tapped his shoulder to hand him the coffee mug. For a second I forgot what I had to do. Not that I hadn’t noticed how different his eyes were before but now, they seemed much different. A good different; warm and melting…

A smile curled around his lips as he stared back in my eyes. I quickly shrugged, feeling a little stupid for just standing there and staring at him. Sighing inwardly I handed him the mug, slipping down besides him.

We came back to the penthouse after making that public-show; I still felt a burning sensation all through my body. The limo ride back was awkward. We both were kinda embarrassed –too aware of each other. But as we got back, things settled much better since we weren’t alone.

Milo was with us, prowling around us.

It was a silent blissful moment as Chase and I sat outside, in the open balcony, watching over the beautiful city. I had never noticed how beautiful it was. It felt strangely amazing to just sit there with Chase, letting soft sun bathe us; shallow breeze ruffle our hair and Milo rolling at our feet.  

What if we just spend all our time like this? Would we survive? What if we don’t? What if the hotness infuriated again? A shiver ran down my spine as I thought about it. I had no idea where Chase and I were going. We were… hopeless!

 “Tell me again,” I started, looking straight ahead. “Why did we have to do that in public?” it was the third time I had asked him and I still wasn’t satisfied.

“So we can get a good front-page picture in tomorrow’s paper.” He said very patiently sounding clearly excited about it.

I let out a little snort. “And that’ll leave people confused about our divorce?”

“Gosh you’re so sharp, I sometimes doubt my mind.” He winked and grinned playfully; amusement gleamed in his eyes.

“Very funny.” I rolled my eyes at him.

He settled his mug on the floor besides him and turned to me. “Arianna, look…” he started, looking serious, right at me. “I know you don’t think it’s a good idea –neither do I…” I doubted that. “…so we wont do it.” he gave a little hopeful smile. “We haven’t been exactly on good terms but I want to make amends.”

“Amends…” I considered, suppressing a grin at his boyish expression. “What do you suggest?”

“Well for the starters… let’s be friends.” He grinned widely showing all his teeth. I controlled the impulse of hugging him. I had never known the good –almost cute, boyish side of Chase.

I set my mug on the floor too and held my hand to him. “Nice to meet you Chase, I’m Arianna.”

My heart did a flip as he chuckled; eyes glistened and he grasped my hand gently shaking. “Pleasure to meet you too.” He smiled brilliantly, making it difficult for me to take the next breath.

For few minutes I just sat there, looking straight over at the city, sipping the coffee I was least interested in until Chase spoke again. “Now that I come to think about it, I’m glad you didn’t eat those eggs and pancake.”

“Oh is that what it was?” I laughed, biting my lip.

Chase shook his head chuckling huskily. “You probably would’ve gotten sick.”

“I wouldn’t have eaten that even if you’d have forced me to.” I told him, grinning.

“I’d have found a way.” He smirked and I raised my eyebrow, challengingly. “You do know I can do things you can’t even imagine, right?” his smirk got deeper, darker.