Chapter 8

"You look particularly bright and cheery this morning Lily," Jake commented raising an eyebrow at me as I sat down at the breakfast table. Redfern, my owl swooped by and dropped off the daily prophet in front of me. She came to a stop, looking at me expectantly with her wise eyes. I knew she wouldn't leave until she got her treat for the day. I smiled and stroked feathers before reaching into my jean pockets for an owl treat. That was the great thing about weekends, you didn't have to wear your robes. Redfern hooted at me affectionately before she flew away to join the other birds in the owlery.

"I happen to be in a very good mood." I chirped, helping myself to some toast and butter. As I absentmindedly spread some marmalade onto the toast, Hugo leaned across and snatched the Daily Prophet from my side.

"Hmmm I wonder why," Roxy winked at me her face stuffed with croissant. "Someone's got a rather 'I just had sex' glow going on."

My face reddened and I rolled my eyes, not denying the accusation, but rather concentrated intently on eating my toast a small smile playing on my face.

"You did, didn't you!?" Roxy gasped. "FINALLY!"

"Oh Roxy, not here!"

She pouted as if she expected me to give her all the details right here at the breakfast table in earshot of everyone. "Fine, but this better not affect your playing in the match today. We need a win against Slytherin to kick off the season. Amie is out sick so were already one chaser short, but I'm going to try and talk her into playing, but basically it's all down to you..." I droned Roxy out. She had been appointed Gryffindor Quidditch team captain this year. Even though it was the first game she was taking it as her chance to shine. We had only had two practices since tryouts with the two new team members.

I turned my head and saw Scorpius who was sitting at the top table next to Slughorn and drinking some orange juice. His blond ruffled hair looked exactly like it had this morning when I woke up next to him. Just as I was about to look away he looked up and send me a wide grin, his grey-bluey eyes lighting up. I grinned back, wishing I was still in his arms in bed.

"Holy mother of Merlin!" I wretched my eyes away from Scorpius and looked at Hugo who was studying the paper intently. He looked up worriedly. "You want to know why Amie's off sick? Because she's been found murdered." He whispered, looking around as if the murdered might be standing right behind us. "Look!"

I took the Daily Prophet from him and read the headline. Roxy leaned over my shoulder to look at the article. A large moving picture of a smiling Amie in her Quidditch gear stared back at me.

HOGWARTS PUPIL FOUND DEAD IN HOGSMEADE VILLAGE

Amie James of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry was found dead in the grounds of the Shrieking Shack this morning at around 5am. The groundskeeper of the Shrieking Shack in Hogsmeade Village reported the resident banshee was making more noises than usual for a quiet night. He even had to put his earmuffs on at one point as he feared for his life as Banshee shrieks can prove fatal if too loud. At around 5 am the groundskeeper decided to investigate the commotion at which point he found Miss James' body covered in the bushes on the outskirts of the property grounds.

I skimmed through the rest of the article until I stopped on a name that caught my eye.

The Minister of Magic, Kingsley Shacklebolt has issued a statement. 'At this moment in time we cannot comment on the nature of Miss James' death, however we have reason to believe that a third party was involved. Parent's rest assured we are doing our best to solve this case and we are sending some of our best aurors to Hogwarts today in order to keep the pupils safe and ultimately get to the bottom of this.'