Lets Not Talk About That...

His words hung in the air as I stared up at the stars. He already knew what there was to know about me. My sister had just died, I spent pretty much my whole life doing homework and I had a terribly embarrassing bucket list. On the other hand, I knew nothing about Colton. He was always surprising me in ways I couldn’t explain.

“There’s nothing to really know about me actually. I’m pretty boring,” I stated quietly, taking in a deep breath of fresh air.

I heard Colton sigh as he shuffled around in the grass to get into a comfortable position. “I don’t think you’re boring Sutton.”

Tilting my head to the side, I focused my eyes on Colton. He was already looking at me, and I felt lost as I gazed into his dizzying blue eyes. For some reason, my stomach was filled with millions of fluttering butterflies every time I was with him. I felt like all the love struck girls at my school. I knew better then to let myself feel like this, but I couldn’t help it.

I guess the only thing to do was ignore it. Ignore the butterflies I got every time I saw him. Ignore the tingles that traveled throughout my body every time he touched me. It was my only solution.

Colton lifted his hand to my face, and as his finger brushed my cheek I shivered. “One, two, three…”

“What are you doing?” I asked as he moved on to the number ten.

“Counting your freckles.”

He seemed rather focused as he kept on with the counting. After he got past thirty two I pushed his hand away. “There’s too many to count!”

“Now I’m going to have to start over!” he said grumpily, raising his hand back to my face.

Irritably I grabbed a fistful of grass and threw it right at his face before he could go on counting again. Surprisingly a few stray pieces found their way into his mouth and in no time Colton was spitting out chunks of grass.

I laughed as he brushed all the grass away from himself. The sound of my own laughter actually surprised me, and I closed my mouth tight. How could I be out here laughing without a care when my sister was dead? Shouldn’t I be at home, still morning the loss of her instead of moving on?

Colton noticed my sudden silence. “I meant it when I said you’re not boring. You have an amazing personality, sometimes I wish I knew what was going on in your head, and you’re such a strong person Sutton.”

I wasn’t strong, I was weak. Every time someone tried to talk about Melody I couldn’t breathe; it was pathetic.

“Trust me you are way more interesting,” I countered.

He shrugged his shoulders. “Not really.”

“Please just tell me something about yourself that I don’t know. There has to be a million things.”

Thinking about the question, Colton lay back down and propped his head up with his hands. Silence filled the night; it seemed like even the wildlife wanted to know about the mysterious Colton.

“I have a birthmark between my butt cheeks,” he admitted with a throaty chuckle.

Scrunching my nose up I sighed. “That’s not that sort of thing I wanted to know. I won’t be able to un hear that now.”

“Fine, I like watching Teen Wolf.”

At this, I gaped at him like an idiot. No way did heartthrob Colton enjoy watching a bunch of hot shirtless guys turning into wolves. No, that’s the sort of thing I do on my down time. Without being able to help myself, I burst into a fit of laughter.