Brother Issues

I took the long way to the art rooms, and by the time I got there I was already starting to calm down. Maybe it was wrong of me to be mad, but I had already opened up to Colton in so many ways and he was still a complete mystery to me. He didn’t deserve to know my venerable spots if I couldn’t know his. This thing we had wasn’t a one way street.  And what in the world gave him the right to tell me I was being selfish? I was allowed to be upset if I wanted to.

“Are you just going to stand there looking pissed off or are you going to say something?”

I peered up and through the doorway of the art room. Vee was looking at me in an amused expression from behind her painting easel. A streak of blue paint was speared across her face and I could tell she was in her artist mode.

“It’s Colton,” I huffed. “And my mom.”

Vee chuckled. “Trouble in paradise already?”

I could feel tears welling up in the back of my eyes as I took a few steps into the room. “My mom left Vee. I don’t know if she’s coming back.”

In a second my best friend was beside me, her arms wrapping around my body. “Sutton it’s okay, she’ll come back. You’re mom’s not the type of woman to give up so easily.”

I nodded my head into her shoulder and sniffled. Vee was right, my mom wasn’t someone to give up easily but this time it felt different. What If she didn’t come back? Sometimes I felt like slapping her silly but I knew I’d be a complete an utter mess if she left for good.

I pulled away from Vee and smiled. “You’re right.”

“I always am,” she replied.

We both laughed like we were too crazy kids once again. “So what happened with Colton?”

I was dreading that question actually…

“He just doesn’t understand. But I don’t want to talk about him.”

Vee nodded her head but didn’t push the topic. That’s why I loved her so much. She always knew when to stop and when she needed to be there for me.

“So I know you don’t want to talk about Colton but he might have let something slip the other day…” she trailed off.

“Yes?”

“Blaine, Mark and I all know about the list. I mean, you know I can’t keep secrets and I told Colton that but he insisted on telling me. I think he wants us to help you cross off some things too.”

I could barely understand what Vee said, but after picking out a few words the realization hit me. “I’m not mad,” I admitted.

Maybe a little embarrassed but not mad.

She sighed in relief. “Good because we have something planned for you after school.”

**

"What is the devious plan I’ve heard about all day long?”

Blaine and I were sitting in the back of Mark’s truck as we drove further and further away from town. Vee looked at me through the rear view mirror to check if I was okay. After school I had tried to talk to Colton but when I got outside his car was gone. I was a little more than let down, but I didn’t want my current state of sadness to bring anyone else down. Giving Vee a small nod, I turned to Blaine and waited for him to reply.

“It’s a secret.”

I rolled my eyes. “Well it obviously has to do something with the extremely embarrassing list you all know about.”