Number Eight?

Vee and Blaine left after we accomplished watching about four different movies; all of which were horror. Although I wasn’t usually scared by cheesy, overly dramatic bloody movies, I was feeling a little jumpy. Maybe it was because I was lying to my best friends, but I didn’t know how to tell them Colton and I made up, they just wouldn’t understand.

I rubbed my tired eyes and made my way over to the powder room to change into my pajamas. Never in my entire existence had I stayed the night at a guy house who’s parents weren’t home, but Mark was one of the only people I felt comfortable around. After shutting the door, I turned to look at myself in the mirror.

Two vibrant, but very tired looking green eyes stared back at my freckled face. My auburn hair was sticking out crazily in all different directions, and a red splotch from where I scratched my skin was starting to form on my neck. Pale people problems…

All in all, I didn’t see any of my sister in me. I could picture her now; blonde hair, shiny and glowing, two beautiful blue orbs watching her surroundings attentively. While her jaw ling was angular like mine, it came down to a flat edge rather than the pointy chin I had. Her skin was a silky tan color, always darker when summer came around.

We looked nothing alike; all I had of her were my memoires and pictures. Never would I be able to look in the mirror and be reminded of the beautiful, outgoing sister I had.

Pushing the thoughts from my head, I pulled my hair back into a sloppy bun and grabbed my bag. After pulling out all of my clothes and toiletries, I turned on the faucet and let the water run warm. It took a good minute or two for the water to change temperature, and in the time I managed to change into a large tee shirt and a comfortable pair of running shorts.

I grabbed my wash cloth and stuck it under the hot water before bringing it up to my face and washing off the little makeup and dirt I had on it. Once again, the water took a minute to change temperatures, and by the time I had brushed my teeth and was done getting ready Mark was nowhere to be found.

I searched every room on the lower level before heading back upstairs and knocking on his door. Seconds passed before he shouted something that sounded like come in. shrugging my shoulders; I opened the door and made my way into his room. There was a small blow up mattress on the floor next to his queen sized bed.

Mark stood by his dresser in a pair of dark blue pajama pants. His upper half was naked, and a memory of Melody instantly popped into my head.

“Is he cute?”

I was sitting on her bed in my pajamas, music blaring in the background. Melody stood by her vanity, double checking herself over in the mirror. She wore a simple yellow sundress that complimented her in ways I couldn’t explain. The clothes didn’t make her look good, she mad the clothes look good.

Melody could have made anything look good.

“When I first saw him, it was during a school play, and he had to play this shirtless roman guy. I thought I was going to melt, and he has abs!” she squealed excitedly.

I stood up and made my way over to her side. Grabbing her hair which was done in loose curls, I pulled it back and snatched up a few pins. After getting her bangs to stay back, I spun her around to face me.

“You look amazing,” I said truthfully.

My sister looked completely giddy.

“So how did he ask you out? Are you guys in any classes?”

Melody nodded. “Well after I figured out he was a drama guy I joined his impromptu class and then things just sort of fell into place. We sat next to each other, and finally after a few days of peeking looks at me he asked me out!”