PROLOGUE

For twenty one years since the Battle of Hogwarts, the Wizarding World has lived in peace. Not once, in these twenty one years, had Minerva McGonagall heard of a disturbance that required the amount of attention she gave those twenty one years ago. But surely enough, she was here now, in the headmaster's office, being delivered unsettling news.

"Minerva," Professor Plumble greeted. Minerva admired Professor Plumble quite a bit, though he was still quite young to be a headmaster of such an esteemed magical academy. But Minerva had done her days as headmaster, she had been more than happy to return to her previous position teaching transfiguration for the remainder of her years on Earth.

"Is something the matter, headmaster?" Minerva asked, hobbling forward towards his desk. He was pacing, his black hair slicked back and his golden robes swooping the air as he marched back and forth behind his desk. He paused, and turned directly to face her.

"Minerva, you are familiar with the book of acceptance, are you not?" he questioned.

"Why of course," Minerva replied. She was one of few teachers who knew exactly where the book was kept in the castle. Locked away from students, and never touched by human hands, the book was in charge of administering which students would come to Hogwarts.

"The book acted in a very odd fashion just now," the Professor explained, now coming out from behind the desk to meet Minerva's gaze more firmly. "The book has administered a muggle."

Minerva almost couldn't believe her ears. "Are you quite certain, Professor?" she asked.

"Certain? When I read the name, I travelled to the household myself to investigate. The girl has no magical heritage whatsoever, not a drop of magical blood in all her family, yet she's listed to attend Hogwarts!"

The Professor took a steady breath, and backed up to collapse in an arm chair. "Minerva, you have far more experience than I. How did this happen? How can a muggle possibly come here to study?"

Minerva's brow furrowed and she readjusted her glasses. "I can't say for sure, Professor. I only know of once before where a similar situation has arisen." Minerva also took a seat, across from Professor Plumble, in the chair opposing his desk. "Petunia Evans once requested admission here, but she then refused to come. In order to get permission to enter the castle, I had to speak to Professor Dumbledore, who then resolved it with the book itself. However, the book makes it's own decisions, and if it rejects a student, it's word is final. In order to make the list, Petunia would have had to have been listed before ever requesting admission."

The Professor listened intently, nodding and thinking over Minerva's words.

"I've always wondered how Albus did it. There was no possible way he could have forced the book to list a student. Perhaps this new student also intends to request admission somewhere down the track."

"Perhaps. But why? Why would a muggle want to set foot here?"

"I imagine they are fascinated by our world. Why wouldn't they be?" Minerva mused. Frowning, the Professor jumped to his feet and began pacing again.

"But we can't allow this muggle to come here! She's not one of us. What if she exposes us? If muggles learn about us, would they all start requesting admission? What would we do then?"

The Professor was always doing this. The amount of responsibility on his shoulders often stressed him out. He really was quite young, and had much to learn.

"Unless the book decides to list them all, I don't think that's a problem," Minerva replied gently. "I suggest we wait and see how this plays out. What was the girl's name?"

The Professor paused, then said, very softly.

"Alyssa Castilian."

Minerva froze, inhaling sharply. The professor narrowed his eyes.

"What? What's wrong?" he questioned sharply. Minerva leaned back in her seat slowly. It had been years ago that she'd been in the staffroom going over paperwork with Professor Trelawney, who'd had another of her peculiar visions. Often her visions turned out to be nonsense, and Minerva didn't pay much attention to them other than making an effort of fetching her water after each episode, but this particular vision had stayed with her for some reason.

Trelawney had insisted that a new evil was approaching, that everybody was in 'grave danger' and that their only savior was Alyssa Castilian, a girl that at this point Minerva had never heard of.

But now... what could it possibly mean?

Slowly, Minerva rose from her seat, and looked pointedly at Professor Plumble, who was still awaiting an explanation.

"If you'll excuse me professor, there's a matter I'd like to look into. I ask that I be allowed to return later when I've gathered some more information. I feel as if it is of great importance that Alyssa Castilian attend Hogwarts."

Without another word, Minerva turned and left the room, as hurriedly as her aged limbs would let her.