FOUR Two Choices

We were led up to the castle in little boats by this giant, hairy dude who called himself Hagrid. I would have been shocked, but considering the circumstances I had other things on my mind. Like the castle in front of me.

Hogwarts.

It really was real. It was right there, in front of my eyes, like a perfectly painted picture. I shared a boat with Callie, and our boat was beside Will's. Lucas had snuck off once we'd gotten off the train to join the second years, so he wasn't with us.

We were told to duck as our boats reached the cliff side, and took us under the castle to a hidden harbor. We all got out of the boats and stood, excited and nervous all at once.

"Right then," Hagrid said. "Let's get yer young ones up to Hogwarts shall we?"

We headed into the castle, up a flight of stairs, and up to a huge doorway. An elderly witch stood waiting for us.

"Professor McGonagall," Hagrid greeted. "Firs' Years,"

"Thank you Hagrid," she replied. Her voice was stern, but somehow fragile at the same time. Hagrid took that as his cue to leave. Professor McGonagall turned to us.

"This way," she said, leading us through the doors and down a corridor. I heard the sound of voices growing louder and louder, but we were taken to a room next to the source of the noise.

"Welcome to Hogwarts," Professor McGonagall greeted, standing before us in a confident manner. "The opening feast will begin soon, but you need to be sorted into your houses first. Your houses will be like your family here at Hogwarts. You will have classes together and share the same dormitories. It is important that you get along with your house. You will earn points throughout the year for doing good things. Any rule breaking and you will lose points. At the end of the year the house with the most points receives the house cup. We will begin in a moment. For now, form a line," she said. She walked out of the room, and we peered nervously after her.

Slowly, chatter began to arise amongst us. Callie was a ball of nervous energy, talking about how her dad had described the great hall to her.

"Ooh, and there's floating candles! And the ceiling looks like the night sky!" she rambled, listing off all the things on her fingers. "And I heard that at Christmas, they bring out these giant trees and decorate them!"

Soon enough, Professor McGonagall returned and said, "Follow me."

We followed her and she led us into a grand hall. Four long tables were stretched down the width of the castle, filled with students, who were all watching us. The ceiling looked exactly has Callie had described; like the night sky, filled with stars, and candles floated above our heads. Both of us stared in awe at everything.

We came to a stop at the front of the hall, in front all all the students, and I felt every eye on us. I began to grow nervous. At the front was a table filled with teachers. At least, I assumed they were teaches. In the middle was the Professor Plumble, who smiled warmly at us all.

Callie leaned over to whisper in my ear,

"When my dad was here, the headmaster was Professor Dumbledore, one of the greatest headmasters ever. But he was murdered."

A chill went down my spine at the mention of a murder taking place. I wanted to ask her more about this Professor Dumbledore but a silence fell over the crowd, as a hat was placed on a chair in front of us. We all peered for a better look, wondering what to make of it. It then moved, which shocked me. It then began to sing, which shocked me even more.