TWENTY FOUR Monsters

It was ten minutes until the challenge started, and I was freaking out because we hadn't seen Veronica since lunch time. She hadn't come back, and we were down one team member.

We'd been taken to a huge arena looking thing, but the walls were so high that I couldn't see what it was like inside. There was an entrance in front of our team, and we'd been instructed to wait there.

"I'm getting nervous," I murmured to Will, looking around anxiously. "Where on Earth is she?"

Will was equally confused, looking around worriedly with me. I began to wonder if perhaps another attack had occurred, but here? Was that even possible?

A loud, magically enchanted voice echoed in the air.

"Teams, please enter your designated starting area."

We all slowly, cautiously made our way into the area, past the stone walls, and turned a corner at the end. There was a giant battle space, and another hallway leading off again across from us— but it shimmered, indicating a barrier was preventing us from going further. In the center of the area was a figure. It looked at us curiously, but didn't try and attack us.

It was a woman— with a body that looked made up of heaps of different people. Different skin colours meshed together as different arms and fingers and eyes and ears formed the body, and even different clothes hung from the woman. In her center, her heart was glowing through her chest— a black, oozing heart.

Envy.

She was a monster made up of everything she envied about other people, and she'd taken them for herself. I wondered how many skills she'd taken.

She let out a girlish laugh, which changed into a manly laugh. I got a chill down my spine.

"It doesn't look like Liddle is going to show up," Eleanor stated, looking at the way we'd entered. "Do we want to change the teams last minute?"

"No," Lucas said firmly. "They're good the way they are. You can still protect Envy with the four of you. You'll be fine," he reassured them.

"You remember how to use those potions?" I asked them, and they all nodded. Taking one each, they positioned themselves on each corner of the arena, and shattered the potions at their feet before shuffling back. The liquid oozed around the arena until it met each other, becoming a protective barrier that would act to keep intruders out. That way, Envy would have to worry less about protecting herself, and could focus on the attackers, which made it easier for us to protect her.

A horn sounded, which was our cue to start. The barrier across from us disappeared, and we were quick to set off on our task, wishing the others good luck before we left. We headed down the hallway and found ourselves in a maze of tunnels.

"Great," Lucas muttered. "We're going to get lost trying to find Wrath!"

We continued onwards, taking guesses at which direction to go, and soon found ourselves in a clearing. A number of Drumstrang students were waiting beside a giant blob looking monster, with sickly pale skin and layers and layers of fat. It looked at us with huge, hungry eyes and began to drool.

"Dinner," It rasped, before rapidly rolling in our direction. The speed it had for such a huge thing threw me off completely, and with a yelp I leapt to the side.

This monster was Glutton.

The others scattered, and Glutton chased Zena who shouted curses and fearlessly sent hexes flying behind her. A lot of them missed and came flying our way. Amongst the chaos, Drumstrang students tried to fend us off, and we were desperately trying to get back to the exit before Glutton ate us for lunch, but he was so fast and continuously blocked it off before we could get near enough.