EIGHT Vengeance

It wasn't until 10PM that Professor Windellow had allowed us to leave. Surprisingly, after Al's exaggerated introduction of himself, he did actually help us scrub the floor. He spent the entire time chatting to us, asking us questions about ourselves and telling us more about himself.

I don't think the others minded too much. He wasn't that bad after the first five minutes. He was actually pretty okay. But by the time we were done, we were all tired and ready to get clean and go to sleep.

The next day I had trouble getting up because I was so tired from the night before. First up we had potions with the Gryffindors.

When we reached the dungeons, we were early, so we had to wait outside. A bunch of Gryffindors had arrived early as well, and I could overhear them talking.

"Yeah, he did!" a boy with dark hair said excitedly.

"He didn't!" another boy said unbelievingly.

"He totally did! The Bloody Barren lost his head at him, which made Nearly Headless Nick laugh."

"He didn't!"

"But he did!"

I walked over to them, trying to get a better idea of what they were talking about.

"I'm telling you! He pulled a prank on The Bloody Barren and sent him toppling through the window of the astronomy tower. Now The Bloody Barren wants to get revenge on him and has been rampaging the castle in search of him!"

"He's so cool!" one of the girls sighed, her eyes dreamy.

"He's so stupid," the boy corrected.

Were they talking about Al? I didn't hear all the details of the fight, but had that really happened?

The door suddenly opened and Professor Slughorn waved us in. We filed into the room and took our seats, waiting for the rest of the class to arrive. We'd been working on a potion which I couldn't remember the name of because of its difficult spelling. We had to brew overnight, so the potions been here since yesterday afternoon in their cauldrons. Mine had turned a pleasant shade of lilac, but Veronica's had gone Aqua. She frowned at it uncertainly when she saw it.

"All you need to do now is chop up your leaping toadstools and throw them in, then stir it clockwise until it begins to bubble," Professor Slughorn said. "If your toadstool has gone missing its probably hiding under something warm. It won't have gone far, so just have a look for it."

"Sir, what if our toadstool was eaten?" a Gryffindor girl asked.

Professor Slughorn's face fell. "My dear child, why would you eat it?" Professor Slughorn asked, looking confused.

"I didn't. My pet toad did, just now," she replied. Professor Slughorn sighed.

"Well I suppose there should be a few more in the supply cupboard somewhere. Let me have a look," he said. He left the room and we all continued working, except for the Gryffindor girl who was scolding her toad.

Will leaned over and looked at my cauldron. He was surprised.

"Yours is perfect Aly," he said. I widened my eyes in shock.

"Really?" I gasped. He nodded. I couldn't believe it. I'd done something right for once! Pride swelled inside me, and I couldn't help the smile that formed on my face.

"What about mine?" Veronica asked. He glanced at it then went pale.

"Yours is going to blow!" Will said, his voice urgent. I stared at him.