TWENTY ONE Keeper Of Secrets

The following morning I was up early. Really early. I couldn't sleep, and I didn't want to face the others first thing, so I slipped out of the common room and downstairs.

It was a Saturday, which meant I had some free time, and I was tempted to hide out in the Owlery with Chase all day. But hiding and prolonging what was coming wasn't going to help in any way.

With a heavy sigh, I entered the Great Hall, and to my surprise it wasn't completely empty this early. Sitting at the Slytherin table alone was Eleanor... and she was crying.

She looked up and noticed me, and our gazes met. I couldn't help but stand and stare. I'd never seen her show so much weakness before and it startled me.

She was quick to wipe her tears and plaster a glare on her face, but I could tell it wasn't going to hold for long. I almost felt bad for her, and before I realized what I was doing I was heading towards her. She straightened her posture, like she was preparing for an argument.

"What do you want Castilian?" she mumbled bitterly, avoiding my gaze as I got close.

"What happened?" I asked, taking a seat across from her. She shot me a sneer.

"Like you care."

I bit my lip.

"Eleanor," I said slowly, and she seemed stunned that I'd used her actual name. "I'm sorry about what happened before the holidays. I didn't mean to be so rude when you were trying to apologize to me. It was just unexpected, and I wasn't sure if you even meant it."

She was silent, watching my expression carefully.

"You're so stupid, Alyssa," she replied finally, half-heartedly. "You shouldn't have come back here. We're all getting picked off like grapes on a vine. My brother was attacked last night... you know the attacks that have been going on? Who knows? Maybe I'm next. Or maybe you're next. I'd like to see your sorry muggle ass fare in an attack like that."

A feeling of dread spread through me. I hadn't realized Eleanor had as much of a heart as she'd revealed. No wonder she was upset— her brother had almost died.

And it was because of this stupid heirloom around my neck. Slowly, I sat down at the table with her.

"Eleanor, can I tell you a secret?" I asked. She frowned.

"Are you sure you want to do that? We're not supposed to be friends. Did your stupid muggle brain forget?"

I grimaced.

"I'm not a muggle," I told her, first up. "I'm a witch. I'm descended from Alberforth Dumbledore... Albus Dumbledore's brother."

She snorted, and rolled her eyes.

"Wow Castilian, what a believable story. What, now that the shock factor of being a muggle has worn off, did you need to invent a new story to capture everyone's attention?"

"It's true," I insisted, trying to ignore the snotty tone she'd used. "Professor Plumble and I figured it out together... well, more or less. He set me on the path anyway. I didn't know until after the holidays, and last night I went to visit Alberforth, and we learned something scary."

I reached for the heirloom, which was tucked under my clothes, and placed it down on the table in front of us. Eleanor recognized it immediately, and her eyes grew narrow with anger.

"How did you get this?" she hissed, reaching out to snatch it up.

"It's mine. It's a long story, but it got sold to Professor Meria, who then put it in the Spellmaster Championships... and it was won by your sister Brianna... and it killed her."