SEVENTEEN Powerful Magic

It was early morning before the first round came to an end; we hadn't been the first contestants out of the woods, but we had been among the ten who managed to make it out for Hogwarts' team. Probably because we had such a large group of us working together.

Professor Plumble was delighted when he discovered that half of his winners were only first year students, and sang his praises to us when we first stumbled out. Eleanor was whisked off to a recovery station, and the rest of us were checked over but otherwise deemed fine.

Will, Callie, Veronica, Eleanor, Lucas, Albus and I all made it to the second round, along with two fifth year students, and a seventh year student.

All those who passed the first round were asked to stand on a podium as Madam Maxime gave another speech.

When she finally let us all go, all of us headed straight back to bed for some much needed sleep. As I trudged with the others back through the palace, I couldn't still my thoughts. Everything was spinning, and nothing made sense. Something abnormal was happening to me, and I knew it. I could feel it in my veins, and for the first time ever, I felt more than ordinary. All the sudden, looking into my family history seemed like a better idea than it had when Professor Plumble first mentioned it. I knew what the first thing on my agenda would be when I got back to Hogwarts, and I knew just the person to help me.

***

Our time at Beauxbatons felt incredibly short, even though I'd already known we weren't going to be there long. The second day we stayed there was more of a rest day, and by the third day we were already heading back.

I was silent through most of the ride back. I'd hardly spoken to anyone since round one had ended. Will and Veronica noticed something was up with me, but even they hadn't been game to treat me the way they usually did. I think they were scared of me.

I didn't blame them.

Most students were focused on Christmas, and packing to return home for the holidays. Veronica had been talking to some of the other people in our carriage about her family traditions; looking after the reindeer and setting up the Christmas tree with enchanted decorations.

When we arrived back, the Great Hall had already been decorated accordingly, with beautiful towering trees and glowing fairies. It was so stunning to look at I couldn't tear my gaze away. The only thing that snapped me out of my trance was a tap on my shoulder.

I whipped my head around.

"Hey," Eleanor said quietly. She seemed a little off— tired, evidently upset and... sheepish?

I frowned at her. "What do you want?" I questioned.

"I wanted to say thank you. Without you guys I could have died, and you could easily have left me there after what I've put you through."

I grimaced. "Eleanor, we're not savages, like you. No one in their right mind would leave someone behind."

Her neutral expression darkened. "You'd be surprised, Castilian. But... wait, I forgot that where you come from you don't have feuds with other families of power. My bad."

She stalked off, seeming pissed. I suddenly felt awful. My comment had been way too harsh. Veronica was right; she'd been through a lot. And she'd been trying to thank me, something I didn't think she was even capable of.

Frustrated with myself, I turned and headed back to the common room.

***

"Will," I greeted, coming up behind where he was seated on the couch. He turned around and gave me a small smile.

"Hi Aly..." he trailed off, getting to his feet. "I was actually just going to go pack."

My smile faltered, and I crossed to the front of the couch to stop him. "Will... wait! Please stop avoiding me. I have something important to tell you."

"What is it?" he asked slowly, eyeing me cautiously.

"My power... I think I know what amplified it... and where it came from."

He hesitated, then eventually sighed and backed up again. "Sit down Aly," he said finally, shuffling over to make room for me. I sat with him on the couch and fished out my necklace from under my clothes.

"Lucas gave me this necklace a few months ago," I began. "He said it was a family heirloom. It was supposed to help with my magic."

Will's eyes widened, and he held out his palm, wanting to hold it. I took it off and put it in his hands, and he examined it.

"It's cracked," he noted, picking at the split in the silver.

"I know. It happened when I cast that spell," I replied. "Maybe the necklace was too much power for me... maybe I'm stronger than I realize."

"Have you had this the entire time?" Will asked. I nodded.

"Yeah... when you were training me, I wore it. I wasn't sure if it was me getting better or the necklace helping me... but I didn't want to believe the latter. I just wanted to fit in for once, and it felt good to succeed... so I didn't say anything to anyone."

"Aly, you said this heirloom would help magic, meaning there has to be magic to begin with for it to work on," Will said slowly. "That means you have magic. I don't know where it came from, considering you're a muggle, but you have it."

"Professor Plumble told me it was impossible for me to have that power and be a muggle," I told him. "He believes I'm not a muggle at all. He thinks that somewhere along the line I had an ancestor that must have been a witch or wizard, but all of our family history is lost because my grandmother has no memories. And I know for certain my mother and father are muggles."

"We need to dig into it," Will said, looking determined. "Professor Plumble could be onto something, and we have to be sure. We have to know what you are, Aly."

"But how?" I asked, not knowing where to start.

"We should look into everything; cases of muggles performing magic, the heirloom from Lucas' family, the history of your grandmother... what was her maiden name?"

"I don't know. I need to find out," I told him. "But, when I come back from Christmas break... I'll have a name for you. I promise."