Chapter 7

They had made a decision. But it wasn't a very good one, and Miren wasn't too excited for the whole process. It just seemed like another fuss in her life. She pressed her lips, feeling uncomfortable with the unpleasant odds.

A small wind picked up, brushing through Chara's hair. She smiled an exhilarated smile before stopping in place. "We're here." She turned to her friend. "Welcome to my humble abode. Try not to collapse from amazement."

Catching up to her friend, Miren jerked her head up, studying the house as objectively as she could. It was yellow. Of course it is, Miren thought. Yellow was the color of optimism. Chara had too much optimism. And she was trying to find some. So perhaps a short stay at the Happy House wouldn't be such a bad thing. 

"You're sure your parents don't mind me staying?" Miren asked, realizing her question was overdue. Chara shook her head.

"Of course not. My mom's always wanted to meet you. Calls you a gifted academic," she said, skipping along the sidewalk to her house. "Whatever that means."

Miren nodded, feeling a little better. "Well, that settles it. Lead the way."

Walking along the sidewalk, Miren studied the ash-colored pavement and a few nicely cut shrubs lining their path. Chara wasn't being completely honest. Although the town she hailed from appeared rather dull and unimpressive, the suburbs were another story—beaming with light and an unwavering kind of hope. It felt like nothing could go wrong here. The houses were well spaced and not entirely humble looking—like a family of six could live here comfortably and in style. From what she knew, Chara appeared to be an only child. That, or she had some pretty unremarkable siblings not worth mentioning. They made it to the front entrance and Chara prodded the dark-wood door with her knuckles.

"Mom." Her raps were beginning to become impatient. "Okaasan, we're here, open up."

The was some movement behind the barrier before the door widened. A middle-aged woman about Chara's height emerged from it.

"Charolette," she said, bringing her daughter into a hug. "How have you been?"

"Good," Chara replied, a small smile cracking through her lips. "Things have been interesting."

Her mother nodded, although the expression on her face shifted. "That's good to hear." She then turned to the taller girl. "You must be Miren."

She nodded, taking the woman's hand. "Yes. Thank you for having me. Sorry to impose, especially on such short notice."

The older woman shook her head, a grin that she passed down on her daughter growing on her lips. "Nonsense," she replied, pulling Miren into a hug, "I've always looked forward to meeting the girl that has helped my Cha-chan excel," she informed her, her accent slightly showing as she beamed with pride in her daughter. "Hopefully she will be able to secure the valedictorian position as you have so far."

Miren tried not to sulk openly, feeling frustration wash over her. That was another honor stripped away from her. All courtesy of the colossal bitch.

"Besides, it's nice to have some company. With Chara's father away on business and her brother Christopher in college, it can be pretty lonely. You know, until I'm called to the E.R."

Miren nodded. At least she wasn't questioning why they were there in the first place; Chara went home just last week. "Well, thank you anyway."