Chapter 25

Miren didn't know how to look at Jeno anymore. Especially since he was the mastermind behind the brilliant plan that was destined to get her killed. So instead she focused on her viola, and played the difficult composition. But it was hard to ignore someone sitting right next to you.

Though they were seated in separate columns, they were now joined by rows. She curved her head slightly to the left—away from Jeno and toward the orchestra instructor's podium. She could still see him out of her peripheral vision, however. He wore his usual mask of indifference. Miren sighed.

Maybe it was all in her head—it probably was all in her head—but it felt like they were regressing. She was tired of feeling conflicted over what seemed like nothing. But when she thought hard enough about her life, she knew that there was a problem with just about every facet of it. From her fabricated existence at Rinzen, the group of populars hot on her pursuit, schoolwork, and homecoming coordinating on top of that, her life spelled conflict. And conflict was an ugly word.

She flipped to the next page of a Vivaldi composition she was now accustomed playing, letting her mind wander. She wasn't mad at Jeno. He didn't make her feel uncomfortable, but he didn't make her feel entirely secure either. It's just that when he said—when he promised—that he would help her take down Penelope, she thought that it would have been more of a group effort. Instead, it felt like he and Wallace simply offered her an attack tactic and pushed her out into the battlefield. Unarmed.

She was always the victim. Although, Miren began to consider, as Mr. Gales started telling them about future orchestral events, maybe that's what they're trying to prevent. The most combative thing Miren had done was fight with Penelope. Then she fled. A few weeks ago it felt like the right decision. Now, she was wondering if she was victimizing herself.

She saw Penelope a few days ago and the same feelings came flooding back. The feelings of being inferior. Pathetic. Miren raised her head, refusing to let these useless emotions seep in. Leaving Rosemunde was only half the battle. The other half, the one that would finally give her the confidence to break free from the emotional anguish she had been subjected to for the last three years, would have to be done alone.

But that's where the plan stopped making sense. Or at least, when the specifics stopped.

"Remember that we'll be playing during the homecoming festivities," the elderly teacher informed them, his face glimmering with delight. "Well, except for Jeno and Miles who have to deal with their homecoming duties." His eyes danced along the special students. "Please give them a round of applause!"

Jeno nodded a few times as a warm smile graced Miren's lips. Upon coming here, she was sure that the males would be her number one source of anxiety. But most of the time they were a joy. They allowed her to forget that she had problems. Most of the time.

"That concludes this class," Mr. Gales said, tapping his papers straight on his podium as the students fled for lunch.

Miren rose from her chair, placing her instrument in the cabinet toward the back stage. A hand fell on her shoulder. She spun around.

"Let's do lunch," Jeno said, shutting her cabinet. She lifted an eyebrow.

"So you aren't ashamed of sitting next to me in public?" she replied coyly, although she instantly regretted her tone. Of course he wasn't ashamed. He wasn't as petty as her.

"You're the one avoiding me," Jeno stated, starting for the front stage of the empty orchestra room. "Is it because Wallace didn't spill all of the plan?" His ember eyes were sharp against hers. "I forgot that girls are so sensitive."